Evalynn: Explaining

As I headed home I knew I had some serious explaining to plan and do. My foster sisters knew already because Faye had walked with me to where I'd agreed to meet them, then had hugged me and kissed my cheek, but my friends and my foster parents wouldn't know. For Mia and Ash I could do it however I wanted, but I just didn't want it to come as too much of a shock for them. I'd break it slowly and softly. For my foster parents it would be harder, and I wasn't even sure how to explain it. I contemplated just telling them and hoping it was all okay after that, I contemplated not telling them. I ended up not entirely sure what I was going to do about the problem and more confused than I'd been at the outset.
"So then Evalynn, all those years of teasing and I'd been right." Charlotte announced as we headed up the country roads back to Gloucester.
I smiled. "Yeah, you have been!"
"It's amazing you've found her Lyn." Katie added. She groaned as Call the Shots by Girls Aloud came on. "Charlotte for the love of God Char, change the song!"
"I'll just stick on the random 90s cd out the footwell then?" Charlotte replied.
Katie groaned again. "Put on a Steps album, not this nonsense."
"Hey! I like Girls Aloud." Charlotte replied, but changed the disc in the cd player anyway.

I grinned as the first song to come on was Say You'll be Mine, and sung along quietly in the back of the car, fiddling with the pale purple leather bracelet Faye, mamma, had given me. After she'd introduced me to Ben and Mick she'd handed me the bracelet and explained what it meant. It was a maternal bracelet, meaning that it was something that was shared between a mother and a daughter and that she had a matching one. Apparently it was a Scottish thing and, having never been to Scotland, I didn't really understand it. I also didn't know if it was a real thing or if she'd made it up banking on the fact I wouldn't be any the wiser. But no matter whether it was a real and traditional thing or not it was special to me because it was the first thing my mamma had ever given me in person, and it would mark the first day I met her forever. I undid the popper and did it back up again, trying to work out how easy it was to take on and off, not that I would take it off very much, it was fine.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

When we got back Mummy Amy called me straight into the living room. She was watching the talking from the end of the rugby game, which given how many points ahead Gloucester were and the fact only 2 minutes remained we'd won, when I walked in, but turned it off as I sat down. That meant she was serious then. She knew what the meeting with Faye was meant to be about already, Katie had accidentally let it slip out during one of her rambles, and ever since then I could tell she was excited to know what the meeting had in store too. I'd asked my foster sisters to keep quiet on the matter, and I knew they would for as long as they could, but that ultimately I had to get the fact out sooner rather than later.
"Well? What did she tell you? Did she know your mum, sorry mamma?" Mummy Amy asked me.
I smiled. "Even better, Faye is my mamma. And she still cares about me massively, and she wants to spend time with me!" I replied. Excitement filled my whole body just at the thought of mamma wanting to spend more time with me and the idea of getting to see Benjamin again soon was something that made me feel a fair amount of joy too.
Mummy Amy smiled a little, but brushed away a tear. "Awww Lynn, that's great baby."
I hugged her briefly, not wanting her to cry, but I knew it didn't feel right. The tentative bond I'd had with Mummy Amy as 'mummy' was broken now I knew who my mamma was. The hugs Faye and I had shared today had felt real, happy and made me feel a real connection to her, whereas this one felt more empty. "It's okay." I said to her.
"Yeah, yeah, it's fine, we knew this would happen one day, but it feels so early in your life. Does she make you feel happy?"
I pulled away from Mummy Amy and nodded. "So happy. I've looked up to her, loved her in a way, my whole life and to find she's actually my mamma was incredible. I'm so happy and I love her so much."
Mummy Amy laughed. "Yeah it must be." She said. "Huh to think we've been looking after a celebrity's daughter all these years." She mumbled.
Then Daddy Ian showed up and the whole conversation happened again, though he'd ended up not crying, and I'd ended up not hugging him. He'd sat there the whole time with a perfectly straight face as if none of the information made the slighest impact on his life, even though in my head they did. And then we'd had to have a whole family hug with Charlotte and Katie (who were awkwardly lurking in the doorway).