chapter 1

Jacqueline leaned her back against the seat and closed her eyes, gripping the hands of the seat tightly as the plane took off. She had traveled far and wide but had never actually liked the thought of flying. The plane gained altitude, and soon, the captain announced that they could leave their seats.

Sighing deeply, she opened her eyes, looking out the window at the fluffy white clouds. The hostess approached her asking if she wanted anything, and she shook her head, returning her gaze to the clouds. She was on her way to Los Angeles, a city she had never been to before. And that was saying something, because she had been all over the world, literally speaking.

She glanced down at the fake passport in her hand bearing the name of Analise Walt and sighed closing her eyes, trying to tune out the noise of the passengers in the commercial plane. She hated the crowd in commercial planes. They were always noisy, and she wasn’t even traveling first class.

She had reached a state of peace when the baby beside her screeched, and her eyes shot open annoyed. The child’s mother was fast asleep, but the baby was wide awake. She glared at the baby, willing it to shut its puny mouth, but the child kept on squealing, and she wished she could just open the window and fling it out so she could have some peace.

What was it, a boy, a girl?

She could not tell for it was wrapped up in bundles of cloth. She grimaced at its pink face and decided to have mercy on it by waking its mother. The mother looked tired, probably from having to take care of the little twit all day. She almost danced in relief when the little devil stopped its wailing and closed its eyes drowsily after exerting its energy.

Thank God!

When she was sure that it had fallen asleep, she closed her own eyes again and tried to take a nap but could not. She was alert without being conscious of it. For the rest of the trip, she tried to imagine what it would be like to see her papa again. She had last seen him two years ago during her holidays which she spent in Atenas, Costa Rica. She could hardly wait.

                                                **********************

Jack exited the terminal without any luggage and immediately saw Dimitri, despite the airport being crowded. Dimitri was her fathers right hand man. She had known him for years. He was tall, broad shouldered and easily noticeable. He spotted her and tilted his head for her to follow, and she did. He led her out of the airport and into a waiting jeep. He drove off the instant she closed the door.

“Welcome little one. Though, that name is not appropriate since you are not so little anymore,” Dimitri said glancing at her through the rear-view mirror.

  Jack offered him a smile and looked back out the window. Soon, she would see her papa. Dominic Cabrera, business tycoon and deadliest leader alive. Leader of the Salanos cartel and the best father she could ask for. She did not hate him for introducing her to the business, it was her fate, and she accepted it with open arms. She had trained to become the best she could be. To make him proud.

She leaned her head against the tinted window and closed her eyes as the buildings of LA rushed by.

“How long is the drive?”

“Two hours,” Dimitri replied.

Nodding, she settled in to take a light nap. She could not sleep on the plane, part of the blame belonged to the silly child that unfortunately occupied the seat next to hers on the plane. It was a rule of hers. Never sleeping in planes or places she did not know or feel comfortable with. She was always on the alert. Even now, with her eyes closed, she was alert. The joys of being a mafias daughter. Dimitri may be her fathers most trusted man, but that did not matter to her. She trusted no one.