chapter 37

Sometimes a work out is all the therapy you need- gym workout.

____

Working out always helped to take Jack’s mind off things. It helped calm her, a little. She repeatedly punched the punching bag and focused on her movements.

Punch, punch, kick punch, kick, punch.

She stopped to take a swig of her water before starting again. The door opened and her eyes shot to look at the person but she didn’t stop. Jose nodded at her and walked to the weights.

Jack stopped and wiped the sweat from her brow breathing hard. Her grey sports bra was sticking to her skin. She rolled her neck and arms before starting again. Thirty minutes had passed when Jose spoke up. They were the only ones in the gym.

“Hey Boss, you wanna fight me?”

Jack punched it one last time and turned to look at him.

“You sure about that?” she asked as she pulled off the gloves and stretched out her fingers.

“Yeah, I’m sure,” Jose said getting up from the bench and walking over to the blue mat that covered half of the gym floor.

“Okay.”

She threw the gloves down and ran a hand through her ponytail before walking over to him.

“Please don’t hold back. I have some energy I need to burn,” she said as she took her stance.

Jose nodded and rushed at her. He was bigger than her, taller than her, he had a lot of advantage over her. But one thing, he was slow. His size made him slow. She easily evaded his attempts at punching her.

Jack ducked and twisted his arm pushing him away. He got back up and cracked his knuckles.

She watched him change his fight pattern.

He suddenly moved striking out at her. Jack barely ducked in time as his hand brushed past her face an inch away. She punched his stomach making him double over, and before he got back up, she gave him an upper cut with her knee.

Jose fell back in a daze.

“You okay Jose?”

He nodded and she stretched out her hand to help him up.

“Let’s make this more interesting. What do you say we add weapons?” he asked suggestively not minding the bruise forming on his chin.

“Not bad.”

Jose smiled mischievously as he walked over to the vast selection of weapons and took the nunchuks.

Jack took the staff.

“Don’t break it on my head boss,” Jose said eyeing the long stick in her hand.

She rolled the staff between her fingers and replied, “I’ll try not to.”

And with that she attacked. Blocking his blows with the nunchuks and delivering some of her own.

The door opened and someone else came in.

Jack raised the staff to block Jose’s rain of blows. He brought the chain down hard and suddenly the stick broke in two. Jack glanced at the stick in both hands and shrugged.

Jose’s attacks were swift and relentless. He was clearly a master at nunchuks. No wonder he chose it. She was having a hard time blocking his attacks. He struck, the blow catching her behind her knee. Jack fell forward breathing hard. Tendrils of hair had fallen out and was now sticking to her face.