chapter 22

Dedicated to Luhvblack for her contributions, including the amazing cover.
Warning, 18+ content...

___________________

Harry had just got off work. He made a quick stop at the store to get some groceries, thanking God that it was Friday. Like who didn’t love the weekends. Kane had invited him to go clubbing again, but he had declined, he wanted some time alone.

They had gotten a new lead about the location of a drug warehouse belonging to Cabrera, but when they had stormed the place, it was empty. Not a single packet of cocaine in sight. Empty leads like that made him feel bad. He gripped the steering wheel hard and sighed as he pulled off the highway.

His headlights shone revealing a woman standing by the roadside with her phone to her ear. She was leaning against a car which appeared to have busted tyres. Being the good cop that he was, he pulled over and got out of his car.

“Anything wrong ma’am?” he asked as he slowly approached the car.

The woman turned to him and his eyes widened in shock. It was the girl that he had taken home a few weeks ago, the girl from the club. The one he couldn’t stop thinking about. His breath caught in his throat as he stared helplessly. She looked different. A good different.

He didn’t know how long he stood there staring until she snapped him out of his stunned silence.

“Hello mister?” she said snapping her fingers.

“Uh, yes, what’s wrong with your car?” he asked even when it was obvious.

“Someone slashed my tyres,” she said looking upset.

Harry tore his gaze away from her and looked at it. It looked really bad, like someone had taken a machete and decided that car tire ribbons would be nice.

“Do you have a spare?” he asked.

“No,” she said and ran a hand through her hair.

“I don’t have a spare either. Have you called for help?” he asked thoughtfully.

“Yeah, but they said they won’t make this route until morning.”

“Do you need me to give you a ride home?” he asked generously.

“No. I live far away, like really far away. Halfway across town. I can’t get there this night,” she said looking at her tyres wistfully.

She glanced at the cars passing them and sighed, “I guess I’ll just have to walk to the nearest motel to spend the night, but I don’t have cash with me. Do you think they’ll accept my cards?” she said with a pout.

Harry awkwardly scratched the back of his neck and asked, “Uh, do you want to, you know, maybe spend the night at my house? I have a spare bedroom, and I can drive you back first thing in the morning.”

Jack did her best to hide her smile. He looked so adorable when he stuttered.

“I don’t know,” she said reluctantly. “You could be a serial killer.”

“I’m not, I’m a cop,” he said showing her his badge. And when she still looked doubtful, he added, “I won’t do anything, I promise. Cross my heart.”

It took some time before she nodded, “Alright, if its not too much trouble.”

She locked her car doors and followed him to his car. He opened the door and Jack flashed him a grateful smile before slipping in. He closed the door and jogged around to the other side. She whipped out her phone and sent a quick text to Jose telling him to pick up the car. She sent him the address and pocketed the phone.