A haunting past

The cabin had turned into a little safe haven. For some reason nobody seemed to hike the trails and since there was food for a week or two we decided it was safe enough to stay. I felt uncomfortable in my skin and I knew I needed to let her out. I needed to connect to her and nature. So after a short debate we agreed we would shift later tonight. We were at the cabin for three days now and had ventured out a little yesterday. It smelled safe and it felt safe. I felt the anxiety leave my system and I felt her sigh inside.

"You need to let me out Gennavieve, I need to run, I have been waiting for to long now!" She growled at me impatiently. "I know Caia, I know just hang in there for a little longer. Just one more hour and you are good to go." I spoke to her pleadingly. She hummed in agreement and I felt the excitement rising.

Atlast im free, I felt the wind brush trough my fur and yelped full of glee. I felt Gennavieve giggle inside me. She was just as excited as me. I started leaping trough the air and jumping from rock to rock and racing down rabbit paths. I heard the bunnies scurry away in fear. I got even more excited and started digging out a rabbit hole. I saw the furry little creature escape trough the emergency exit and started hunting it down. I caught it quickly and let it go and I kept up my little game of cat and mouse until I was done playing with my food. I quickly finished it off so I could enjoy the fresh meat. I was filed with glee and happiness. After I licked my paws clean and cleaned the rest of my fur I felt a giddy Gennavieve. I knew exactly what she wanted to do and I took off. We were sprinting trough the woods, seeing all the trees and bushes flash by and hearing the satisfying crunch of leaves and twigs breaking under our paws. After a long run we needed to return to the safety of our little home in the woods. I rolled in the dirt and smeared my fur with a faul smelling mud puddle. "Ah gross!" Gennavieve exclaimed. "I know but necessary as you know." I smirked at her bearing my teeth in a troathy chuckle. "Well a cold shower is better then smelling like this for the rest of the time." She said in a muttering voice. I agreed with that one and we quickly made our way over to the cabin. Thankfully nothing smelled out of place and just because I wanted to be helpful I jumped in a big pond close to the cabin. After I shook out my fur I shifted back to my human form.

My teeth where clattering together. "Really a puddle was that necessary." I shivered grumpily. "Just trying to help! Let's get inside and cleaned up." Caia insisted. I nodded my head and headed inside so I could clean myself quickly and get dressed. I was still shivering but I had found some extra blankets and started to regain feeling in my limbs. After a little while I felt nice and toasty and I sighed in content. "That was the best run we had in ages." I said happily to Caia. She hummed in a satisfied response. I felt her drift away to the back of my mind and smiled at the happiness my wolf spread trough my body.

I started thinking back to the first day I heard Caia in my head. I was so surprised so was so clear and present. It was very different then what my parents always explained it to be. My parents noticed something was off when I would talk to my wolf out loud and noticed how I could shift whenever I pleased and after a while the color of my fur started to change and that's when my parents decided nobody was aloud to see me. I didn't understand why they told me I needed to hide myself away. They told the other pack members I couldn't shift that I hadn't linked with my wolf yet. It happened to some wolfs they where later with the shift or they didn't shift at all in rare occasions. We moved to a different part on the pack grounds so we had more privacy and I could shift to my hearts content. My parents explained to me why i needed to be hidden. I was different from the others. They would harm me or take me away. There was a legend about a wolf like me. According to the legend I was made for greatness and change would come with me to the world of wolfs. So,e wolves did not want change and any wolf that showed traits of the traits described in the legend were captured and tested and some died or were permanently damaged. My parents feared for my life. So I stayed a secret for a long time. Me and Caia learned to act like regular wolves. We couldn't hide away forever, people would get suspicious because I smelled just like a wolf so they knew it was just a matter of time before I shifted. I could change my fur color so we changed it to a muddy brown, nothing special and we made sure that in the pack links I was the one that spoke and led my wolf. All went well for 15 years but after a while I started smelling different. People started to notice and became suspicious. My wolf was maturing and changing again. My mother knew this was bound to happen so we had practiced my "escape" plan and what I needed to do to survive.

And that hat all led up to the night that my whole world changed. I could only hope my parents were still alive and my family was safe. They say I have bad blood because I'm different and there for im dangerous. Sometimes I wished I was just like everyone else. I felt the tears trickle down my face and just this time I aloud them to fall. I cried for my past, for my life, for my present and for my uncertain future. There was still some much I didn't understand about myself and Caia wasn't helpful she just kept saying until it is time you will understand. I hope that time would come soon because I was done waiting.