Chapter 3 ~ 'A Minnow in the Tide.'

Alia rarely expected for her brother to return to their evening Gatherings on time, but as she was the pouring the elders' wine, she heard a young, delighted centaur cry, "They're back!"

"And the stars have only been singing but an hour! What a day this is!" A voice jeered light-heartedly from beside Alia before she approached her brother, Oreius. The centaurs that he had been leading were already scattering to greet their own families.

"I expected you both to be gone days." Alia admitted, but her joy showed undeniably as she embraced him.

"Good eve to you, too, Sister." Oreius replied fondly, drawing away from her. "You've failed to greet our cousin."
"It's good that you're returned safely, Candren." Alia told her cousin courteously, trying not to sound as if it were purely out of necessity.

But Candren simply nodded and strolled to join the rest of the Tribe around the large fire, accepting a goblet on his way.

"Ever a pleasure." Alia sighed, watching him leave before turning back to the Daughter of Eve at Oreius' side, "And who might this be?"

"You know who this is." Oreius said pointedly, and rather ominously from Lilith's perspective, catching his confused sister's eyes.

"It's She! You found her alrea-"

"Alia."

"Yes, you're right. Of course, composure. It's a pleasure to meet you..."

"Lilith." The redhead spoke with a awkward smile. She hadn't known what to expect from a Centaur settlement, but she found it near enough as enchanting as Cair Paravel had been.

There was a tall, billowing campfire, circled by small buildings which, she daren't say so aloud, but looked crossed between huts and stables. Quaint indeed, but surprisingly cosy- it felt as though the coldest winters would feel like mid-summer here. The entire settlement was deep in woodlands beside Cair Paravel and wow, how the stars shone brightly above them.

"I'm Alia, Oreius' sister." The Centauress explained, bowing slightly as the human girl surveyed their Settlement, "Are you to stay here?"

"She is." Oreius replied, placing a hand on the girl's shoulder, "She is to take the room beside my own."

Alia looked to her brother, calculatingly. Of course, they both knew this girl to be- of importance, but she'd never have expected to see Oreius so protective of any human that wasn't one of their Monarchs'. Though she was not about to discourage him. Already, he seemed different to how he had ever since the Great Battle years ago- perhaps this could be what she, and many of the rest of his Tribe, had been waiting for in more ways than they had expected?

"Of course." The Centauress spoke with a smile, "Just this way." She added, placing a guiding hand on the girl's back as she steered Her towards their hut.

"What did you mean 'it is She'?" Lilith had to asked as she was lead towards a hut, "How did you know I was coming?"

Alia turned her warm, russet eyes to Lilith for a moment before turning to her brother, "You haven't told Her, have you? She still doesn't know..."

"I was trying to avoid overwhelming Her." Oreius replied with a mild frustration.

"I'm right here, you know." Lilith pointed out, but was ultimately ignored.

"She is to meet with our Kings and Queen tomorrow," Oreius continued, "I believed that that was enough for the moment."

"Yes, I suppose it is." Alia agreed with a nod as she entered their home, "Your room's just through that door. It's rather small but we- Centaurs- don't spend much time in our homes. Well, some more than others," She added pointedly, her eyes flickering to her brother once more.