Chapter 17 ~ 'As Happy as a Lamb in Springtime.'

"That's not funny, Lilith." Susan spoke once she remembered her ability to speak, "Murder- even attempted murder- is punishable by death."

"Do I look like I'm joking, Susan?"

The Gentle Queen straightened her back, "Let us say that you did kill Lord Lues, in which you clearly haven't, why would you do that?"

"Because he tried... he tried to-"

"Tried to what?"

"He tried to-"

In her inability to speak of the happenings for the second time that day, Susan realised what Lilith was trying to say.

"You can't just accuse-"

"It's the truth!"

"It's nonsense." Susan spoke firmly, "Lord Lues was- is a gentleman. He's respected and of noble blood-"

"Lord Lues was a predator and a- and a creep. He deserved what he got!"

"And what of the girls who said nothing but good things about him? You are calling all those Ladies and Dutches liars?"

"I am- but they'd been threatened! I mean nothing against them-"

"You have no right to call those girls, those women, liars. This is nonsense, Lilith." Susan was on her feet within a moment, "I know that you're upset, but you can't be throwing accusations about like that, not against Lords and certainly not without proof. You'll get someone else hurt-"

"But he did! It's the truth!"

"I shan't hear anymore."

Susan shut the door rather forcefully behind her, sealing in the frustrated cries and pleas to be believed behind it.

~~~

"I'm sure your Missus'll be as happy as a lamb in Springtime." Mr. Fox spoke as he trotted through Cair Paravel beside his closest friend, Mr Beaver.

"I won't say you're wrong, Fox. Such feedback from the castle Cooks! Water on my Dam, I thought it was just jam in porridge!"

"Oats, jam, milk- whatever's in it, those chef's words might help you get lucky tonight!" The Fox spoke slyly, earning a loud laugh from his friend.

"You're a thoughtless as squirrel- talking like that in the house of Royalty! Imagine if-"

But Mr Beaver stopped talking abruptly, both he and Mr Fox bowing low as the High King rounded the corner ahead of them.

"Your Majesty."

"A fine day, Your Majesty."

"Fine for some, I'm sure. Good day."

The two friends looked at one another, quite baffled by the High King's unusually blunt greeting and farewell. With an understanding nod, the fox strolled onwards, Mr Beaver turning and following Peter.

"What's got you crown in a scuff, boy?"

"You're speaking to your King." Peter reminded the Beaver, but it was clear that his cares were elsewhere as he strode on, his companion occasionally have to use his front paws, too, to keep up.

"And you're talking to an old Beaver who hasn't the willingness to watch you mope, boy. There's been mutterings of the great lion himself spotted on your beaches! He usually doesn't cause such a mood about you."

"He doesn't usually cause such a mood about anyone, he's never here."

"Now, I expect you watch your tongue when speaking of the Great Lion!"