Chapter 8 ~ To Kill with Toast

"I can't believe you'd leave me with Susan." Lucy complained to her brother as they walked to breakfast the morning after her picnic with the Beavers. It had been a lovely day, even if Lilith had seemed distracted- Lucy only hoped that wasn't because she missed home too much... not that they all didn't.

Edmund, who had just broken the news to Lucy that he and Peter would be leaving later that morning to Calormen, could only shake his head. "It's only for 2 nights, Lucy, I'm sure you'll survive."

"2 nights isn't long to get to Calormen and back."

"I never said we'd be sleeping."

"But still, that means you'll be getting back with only a day to the battle! When will you rest?"

"Part of the job, Lu." Edmund shrugged as he felt his stomach gurgle. Toast time.

"What is it about, anyway?" Lucy pressed, "Our army's huge!"

The Just King snorted slightly as he pushed the Dining room door open, "So're giants. Hopefully, they'll lend an extra 400 men, minimum, and so it should be worth it."

Lucy pouted, but just before she could argue with her brother, he spoke up again as he dropped into his spot at the table.

"What's her deal do you reckon?"

"Who's deal?"

"Lilith's."

"Edmund," Lucy scolded, "that's rude!"

"What? I'm only asking." The Just King defended himself, helping himself to the grand array of breakfast items which had been waiting for them, "Why do you think she's here?"

"I'm pretty sure she has even less idea than we do." Lucy replied as she shook her head, "Just be nice to her."

"I have been!"

"Asking 'what's her deal' isn't very nice." The Valiant retorted, mirroring her brother as he reached for food.

"She can't hear me, so no harm done."

"What harm have you done?" A new voice asked as the High King entered, eyes already on his brother, expectant.

"Morning to you, too, Pete." Edmund muttered, continuing piling breakfast items onto his plate.

"He hasn't done anything." Lucy spoke as Peter seated himself, "We were just talking about Lilith."

"What about her?"

"That's exactly it." Lucy replied, "We don't know what it is about her, what makes her so special do you think?"

"That's a little harsh, Lu." Peter spoke, deciding to help himself to food before his fellow King devoured it all, "She's kind, funny and really quite pretty. Not to mention in her first training lesson she did better than I did after a month and she can even-"

"Okay, okay, we get why you think she's so great," Lucy interjected as her brother's eyes widened, "but why does Aslan?"

"I just said all that out loud, didn't I?"

Lucy gave her eldest brother a pitiful nod, but Edmund swallowed his food quicker than he ever had to reply, "I wish you'd have written it, though. Some good, solid, on-paper proof. I'd pin it up right in the Entrance Hall."

"I-" The High King straightened his back. He often pulled off a Poker face well, yet his siblings saw straight thought it each and every time. "Proof of what? I've no idea what you're talking about."

Edmund snorted.

"In Aslan's name, Edmund, why don't you ever learn some manners?" Susan spoke as she near enough glided in.