Chapter 31 ~ Who We Are

'We are mirrors whose brightness is wholly derived from the sun that shines upon us.'

~ C.S. Lewis

One of the many upsides to having a Throne Room was that most didn't hazard to enter unless their reason for doing so was of upmost importance, which was the main reason that the Narnian Monarchy chose to sojourn here most hours of the day during the week leading up to Christmas.

Before I continue, even though I'm sure you're aware of this by now, I must stress that the Pevensies were never ones to hide from their responsibilities. They were always available if a subject wished to speak with them or a Council Member wished to make a request.

Though I'm sure you're also aware of this by now, I just stress that ruling a Kingdom is exhausting for anyone, let alone those as young as the Pevensies still were. Therefore, we should seek to avert ourselves from casting judgment on them for simply pursuing moments of peace with their family at Christmastime.

During this week, when the castle was at its busiest and abuzz with preparations, it was rare to see High King Peter, King Edmund and Queen Lucy outside the Throne Room during daylight hours.

The Throne Room was often adorned with garlands, wreathes, and candles. Each year, a grand tree was situated at a far side, decorated with even more garlands and candles along with carved and painted ornaments.

The Monarchy would play games- predominantly chess, but for Lucy's sake, other Narnian crafted board games, too. They would make plans for the coming year, write letters of festive greetings to court members and castle staff and generally spend the time together that they didn't always get throughout the year.

With her heart in preparations, however, Susan often strayed from their 'family time' to aid around the castle where she could. Nevertheless, she was enjoying herself, which was evident for all to see and thus her siblings left her to it.

So, when she strode into the Throne Room only five days before Christmas, clearly attempting to hide traces of anxiety, this didn't go unnoticed.

The Pevensies were learning to be patient people at the best of times, and so when Susan admitted that she had already arranged a Christmas Ball and had been too fearful to tell them earlier, their exasperation was only mild.

"Su, you were going to have to tell us eventually." Peter told his sister, looking up once he'd moved a small, gold bishop. A chess table had been moved in and was stood between Edmund's and his thrones. Lucy was sat on the throne platform steps, curling a ribbon around a parcel containing a new, striped scarf for Mr Tumnus (it was beginning to feel that the Faun could receive scarves for each birthday that he lived and still be overjoyed by them).

"I'm glad that you're all okay with it." Susan admitted, relighting a candle on the tree that had gone out. "I hope Lilith will be, too. There's no theme this time... people can come dressed however they wish."

"Really?" Lucy spoke up, eyes alight as she looked from the wrapped parcel to her sister, "I have a dress that Riyhail made for me last Christmas-"

"The Centauress?" Edmund piped in, his mood good as he knew full well that he was only three moves from Checkmating his brother. "I didn't know she was a seamstress."

"She's amazing." Lucy gushed, "You remember it, Susan, don't you? It's the one with the pearls that the mermaids let her use. The one with the silver thread."

Despite the fact that Susan knew the dress was not a usual ballgown style and that most higher class guests would surely disapprove, the Gentle Queen managed a smile as she replied, "If that's what you want to wear, Lucy, then I'm sure you'll look beautiful. I'm surprised you're not leaping about like a lamb in springtime, however."