Chapter 10 ~ To Picnic Amidst Battle

Hooves splashed their way through the sodden woodland, a horse and Unicorn urged on by their riders (the Centaurs speed being on their own terms, of course), as the small group broke through the treeline. Both riders instantly felt warmed at the sight of Cair Paravel, but the internal warmth wasn't quite enough to entirely smite one of the brother's disappointment.

"This must be the worse 'Welcome Home' party ever." Edmund complained as he dismounted Phillip, landing steadily in a large puddle and scowling.

"Perhaps I can make it more to your standard by walking myself and Aidren back to the stables." His horse retorted sarcastically, but upon seeing Edmund pull his sodden cloak around him tighter, Phillip added, "Dry off, Your Majesty. We can manage ourselves."

"Thanks." Edmund replied, his tone far drier than he currently was.

"You didn't honestly expect them to be stood out in this waiting for us, did you?" Peter asked his brother as they made haste up the palace stairs and into the dry Entrance Hall.

The Just King shrugged, "At least waiting at the doors with tea."

The High King  rolled his eyes, joining his brother in pulling off the top, most drenched layer of his armour, "Where do you think they'll be?"

Living in a palace was not something either of the Pevensie brothers were ones to complain about often. But, after a three-day round trip, a very rigid meeting with the Tizroc and feeling frozen to the bone, traipsing around such a building to find their sisters was not something they found particularly enjoyable.

"Oh, thank Aslan!" Where the first words Susan gasped as she opened her eyes to see her brother's and their advisor before her, illuminated in the dying firelight.

"You seem surprised we've returned at all." Peter replied, taken aback as his usually composed sister threw her arms around both his and his brother's necks.

"We are! No letter, no nothing!" Susan scolded, drawing away and grimacing at the saturated state of her brothers and now the front of her gown, too. At her older sister's loud chastising, Lucy had woken up and immediately greeted her brothers in the same way.

"What do you mean no letter?" Edmund asked, sliding from Lucy's grip, "We sent one yesterday evening."

Susan's brows furrowed, "We never received anything."

"They were sent- I mean, it was sent with the most trustworthy raven we have." Peter replied, releasing Lucy in a slightly gentler than Edmund had.

"Well, never mind that. You're home, that's all that matters."

"Lilith." Oreius voiced, standing over the sleeping girl on the back sofa as the siblings greeted one another.

There was an inaudible grumble, but then Lilith's eyes shot open, "You're back!"

She was on her feet as quickly as either the sisters had been and, forgetting her uncertainty of how to hug a centaur, she did so.

The Centaur chief originally froze as she wrapped her arms around his torso, but after a moment, he composed himself and patted her back, albeit with an awkwardness. "Quite an observation, child."

Lilith pulled away, scowling, "I need words with you about those full days of training. They almost killed me."

"Then I'll hear them as we return to the settlement." Oreius spoke, turning to face the Kings, "We will be at the entrance for 4."

But the High King didn't reply- he seemed distracted by a presence that wasn't Oreius'.

"Four?" Edmund spoke, sounding rather offended, "Why so early?"