28. The proposal

| Edited |
_________________________________________

Everyone in the hall, except for Madirakshi's family, and the Yadava Kumaras, was utterly shocked to see that she had chosen Karna over all the suitors.

"This is an insult! How can a princess choose a man from a lower class, a man unqualified to be a kshatriya?" Jarasandh yelled, gaining everyone's attention.

"Absolutely! She has to choose one amongst us!" Supported another king.

"Maharaj Jaydev, how can your daughter choose a Sutputra?"

Madirakshi, Suchitra and their mother were tensed.

"It is her choice. Respect it!" King Jaydev replied in a stern tone.

"What if a fight breaks out? Do something, Kanha!" Balram whispered.

"Don't you think, that Karna can handle all them single-handedly?" Krishna chuckled.

"I know that very well! And I'm not referring about it. I'm saying would Madirakshi or any bride would appreciate a fight break on such an auspicious day of her life?"

"You uttered the truth, Dau." Krishna smiled.

I don't want any fight to happen. Narayan please help! Madirakshi prayed.

"Look, even Madirakshi is requesting you now." Balram looked at his younger brother.

"And now I have to do something! After all, how can I avoid the request of my devotees and sakhi," Krishna smiled, standing up.

"To all the suitors, it is Rajkumari Madirakshi who has the right and choice to select her husband. A woman has the freedom to choose whom she wants to! This is her right!"

Krishna's calm yet firm voice interrupted them.

Karna looked at Krishna who smiled at him with a blink of assurance.

Many believed Krishna to be the avatar of Lord Vishnu, the supreme god. Although many present, such as Shishupal and Jarasandh, disliked him they were at a loss of words against his claim.

"My daughter's decision is completely her own and I will stand by it," King Jaydev declared. "She has selected the King of Anga as her husband. And I appeal everyone to respect her choice made at the swayamvar."

The wedding date was set for seven days later. Dushasan departed back to the kingdom of Hastinapur, while Ashwatthama and Duryodhana waited back with Karna.

The Pandavas were unsure whether to stay or leave. King Jaydev was a close relative of theirs, but Madirakshi was marrying Karna. Upon Arjun's insistence, for his personal reasons, they chose to stay back and attend the wedding.

Additionally, Kunti was coming to Mayurvan to see her friend Queen Sulochana. More likely to bless Madirakshi and her own son from Suryadev, her secret. Nevertheless, this gave Arjun a good reason to ask his brothers to stay.

He walked down the palace corridor of the beautifully decorated palace, in the quiet of the night. His steps echoed softly as he made his way to Suchitra's chamber. Though it was unconventional for a man to visit a woman's chamber at such an hour, Arjun was willing to defy norms that night.

He paused in front of her chamber doors, where two guards stood watch.

"If Rajkumari Suchitra is awake, please inform her that I wishes to meet her right away," he instructed the guard, urgency in his voice.

"As you command, Rajkumar," the guard nodded respectfully before entering the chamber.