Chapter 40

Kara's POV

When Levi and I enter his uncle's place, it's like a madhouse inside. Two little boys are running around the living room chasing Mia. I assume they must be his other younger cousins. An older girl comes down the stairs, eyes glued to her phone. She looks up and sees both of us in the doorway.

"Hey, Levi." She briefly greets before making her way to the couch.

A pregnant woman, in her late thirties maybe, approached us with a tray of biscuits. "Hola, querido(Hi, darling). How've you been?" She goes to kiss Levi on the cheek and manages to ruffle his hair a bit even though he's at least a foot and a half taller than her. "And who's this belleza(beauty)?" She looks over at me, smiling.

"Tía, this is Kara. Kara, this is my Aunt Claudia." Levi introduces.

"Hi, it's very nice to meet you. Levi hasn't told me about the rest of his family."

"Of course he didn't. Shame on you, chico." She grabs my hand and pulls me into the kitchen. "I made some bollos y huevos just the way you used to like them. Here try some, honey." She starts making two plates for both of us.

"Oh, tía we already ate."  Levi tries to explain.

"And I can still practically hear your estómagos (stomachs) from over here. Eat." His aunt pushes the plates in our hands and guides us over to the dining table where the kids from before are now seated.

"Elena, hurry and eat so your padre can drop you off at school."

"Mamá, I haven't even finished my homework. Can't I be late?" The girl—Elena—asked.

"Nó." was all she said before disappearing into the kitchen.

Levi scarfed down his food and glanced over at me smirking when I couldn't finish. "You should hurry and eat up before she comes back and sees you didn't finish her precious meal." He teases.

My eyes widen and I stuff the remainder of the food down my throat. Levi cracking up beside me.

"Psst, Levi you want the rest of my breakfast?" I heard Elena ask.

"Elena, eat your food." Was all he replied with.

"Come on, I'll owe you." Silence. "Please, I have to finish my homework or Mr. Lambert is going to yell at me."

"Why didn't you do it last night?" He asks.

She fiddles with her nails before answering. "I was busy."

They stare at each other for a minute before Levi caves in. "Fine. Give it to me."

She slides her plate over and Levi spills it on his plate. "Yes! Thanks, cus." Elena hugs Levi before running off.

...

It's in the afternoon and I'm sitting on the bed in the guesthouse. I went to grab a few clothes from my dorm and changed into a baggy t-shirt and jogger. My hairs in two small braids.

Levi had to leave and go back to his house for a few hours to make sure everything was going smoothly. He said he would be back before six.