Chapter Eighteen (Edited)

It's been a couple of weeks since my torturers have left. I'm afraid of everyone and everything, including my own mate. There are times where I'm sitting on the bed, staring at the black TV, when he just pops out of fucking nowhere and scares the crap out of me! I admit, I have been better and my eyes are slowly turning into an amber-red color. 

I haven't seen Kai, Ivy, Emma, or Silver ever since my once so-called family left. I feel very hurt and betrayed over what they did to me, and worse that there were no witnesses. Part of me wishes that I could see everyone in my family from before, the ones before I murdered humans when they attacked my home and family. The ones who loved me unconditionally, and would never hurt me. 

Every day, Fleet gets my school work and then helps me with it. After that, we go for a run and eat human food like normal. Warrior has finally been reunited with me, and he won't leave my side. For two hours in the morning and another two at night, I focus on all of the other parts of me to strengthen them to match my vampire side. Then, at lunch, we go through certain exercises to get me to better control my thirst and accept who I am. 

None of the exercises hurt me, but they do make me test my tolerance and self-control. It's hard to believe that I have come so far since two weeks ago, but I'm still not close to who I was before this. I don't think I ever will be. I wonder if Fleet cares that I won't ever be my usual self, the person I was before I decided to drain a bunch of humans. 

"Love, are you listening? I'm going to see if Emma and Silver want to come back. Is that alright?" His voice cuts through my sorrowful thoughts. I slowly nod, stilling from anxiety. He gently rubs my back. 

"It'll be okay. You won't hurt anyone, we both know that." He consoles me. I slowly nod, relaxing bit by bit. I look down at my school work, and finish it as Fleet goes over his own paperwork. 

"Fleet?" I ask quietly, inaudible if you weren't paying attention. He quickly glances up, golden eyes wide with shock from hearing me speak without being spoken to first. 

"Yes?" He responds, prompting me to speak again eagerly. I play with the hem of my frayed sweatshirt nervously. 

"Will it ever be as easy as it used to be?" I murmur, looking at him with saddened eyes. In one moment, one decision ruined my entire life. He glances down, seeming unsure on how to answer. 

"I don't know, Tanya. You're so special and unique... there are none like you." He answers slowly, awe shining in his eyes. I sigh and hand him my school work, heading over to our bed and slumping against the headboard. I curl up, my knees pressed to my chest. He sighs heavily and leaves me there, knowing that I just wanted to be alone right now. 

___________________

A few more weeks pass, and I have gotten farther along on gaining control. My siblings moved back in and I'm not afraid of every little thing. I'm slowly getting better, but I have a feeling Fleet has a few tricks up his sleeve to bring me back further. It feels as if I'm dragging my self up the side of a sheer cliff, hand by hand just to get better. Sometimes, I wonder if it's even worth it. I've been sleeping soundly and I'm almost ready to invite my biological family over. 

A large crash wakes me up and I hear someone apologizing, but what I notice is that it's late morning and Fleet didn't wake me up. I race out of the room, thudding down the stairs. "Fleet! Where are you?" I call, my curls bouncing with the movement of my body. I race into the foyer, scenting Fleet down the hall. 

"I'm in here!" He calls back. Relief streams through my body, I go through a short cut and see  him immediately. I go to go towards him, but then my senses catch other scents. Humans, about seventy of them. I whirl around, my eyes wide with fear that I might snap. I dart backwards, going to Fleet and wrapping myself around his back. I lock my legs around his waist, my arms around his neck.