Chapter Twenty-One (Edited)

Tanya's POV

I look at Fleet in disbelief. Why hasn't he told me his entire family is alive? I thought it was just him and his twin brothers! My thirst momentarily forgotten, I step closer to him as he glares at his mother.

"I thought your family was dead! You never talked about them, only the twins." I gasp, he scratches the back of his neck nervously.

"I'm not on good terms with them really." He says carefully, I snarl loudly in mostly disbelief.

"So you bring us here!" I yell, he takes a slow step back with wide eyes.

"This is the only place no one knows about!" He exclaims, I roll my eyes and cross my arms.

"What about the fact that someone followed us? Or that we don't know what they were! If they were a creature, like us, they would be able to easily follow our scents! Especially since we have two humans and animals with us!" I retort, he sighs and runs his hand down his frustrated and tired face.

"It's a chance we have to take, Tanya. I need to protect you three." He sighs, anger rises in me as well as revulsion as I remember the last time I tried to protect my family. 

"Yeah? Well the last time I did that I turned into a bloodthirsty monster! Should we lock you up in a cell? Torture you until you're afraid of you're own shadow? Want me to hide away for almost a month while that happens to you?" I yell. His eyes turn sad, taking a step forward, he opens his mouth.

"Ta-" He begins, I cut him off with a sharp glare.

"No. Don't. I'm going hunting so I can get rid of this anger without hurting a human." I mutter, speeding away as fast as I can. Warrior tries to keep up with me, but he lags behind just far enough for me to be able to focus on deer instead of him. 

I stealthily find a herd of deer, watching from above as they settle in to sleep. I wait until the buck is asleep before I sneak down to an old, sick deer and snapping her neck. I gently pick her up, flitting away from the moonlit clearing as the rest of the herd sleep. 

I find a place far enough away from them to set her body down and drink her still warm blood from her cooling body. Once my thirst is gone, I try to shift my hand. I shake from exhaustion as my claws slowly come out, only to disappear as swiftly as I killed the deer. I sigh, standing up and slowly walking back to Fleet's parents. I wipe my face, licking any blood off my lips and hand. 

Warrior runs to my side the moment I enter the clearing, everyone already having disappeared inside. I silently slip inside, following Fleet's scent into a warm living room. Everyone glances up at me as I glide towards Fleet, sitting beside him silently. 

"Better?" He asks sadly, I shrug casually and look up at the ceiling. 

"Never been better." I say sarcastically, he silently sighs. 

"Fleetwood, you never told us who these people are." His mother cuts in, glaring down at my siblings and I. I growl lowly, hating her disrespect to me. Fleet's lips slightly curve up at my reaction, before coughing to hide it. 

"This is my mate, Tanya and her adopted siblings, Silver and Emma." He answers, she scoffs. Her red eyes narrow at me in disgust.

"She's too young for you! Maybe you should get together with dear Loraine, she's a nice girl and a pureblood." She scolds, I snarl and jump to my feet. I glare into her vivid red eyes, feeling the matebond want me to defend both my honor and kill her for just the suggestion. 

"Don't test me. I'm the most powerful being in this room and I can assure you that I could murder you all, but I won't because you're Fleet's family. If you try to set him up with any woman or man, I swear that the person will be long dead before they get within five hundred miles of him." I snarl, he hides a chuckle at his family's shocked faces. Emma and Silver smile, knowing I'm right.