Marco's Interlude (Preview): Duel with a Drifter (Mid Season Finale Preview)

I decided to do one more chapter, end on a high note before I dip on this story for a bit. I've decided to wrap up the Traveler's and Marco's story for most of the season and Marco's for basically the remainder for this story as to not alienate those who only watch the Owl House/those who read this first for the future novel version. Also I don't want them taking up to much screen time so, yeah. Here is a preview of it.

Part One: A Demigod and a Diaz

"Mr. Universe," Marco explains with a kind, formal tone, "I must speak to you about your encounter with a cloaked figure you fought a few days ago."

"Oh yeah that guy," Steven replies, "No need to be so formal, we can talk casually."

"Great," Marco responds with an eased smile, "Never did enjoy being all formal for work."

"I've just whipped up some veggie burgers for lunch would you like one," Steven inquires, holding the door open for Marco in a silent gesture of welcoming him inside.

"Yes please," Marco responds, "Thanks a ton."

"My pleasure," Steven responds with a smile as he walks into the kitchen.

Marco gets a chance to look around the apartment. It's a nice apartment on the 2nd floor of the complex. The walls are painted a soothing white color, and there are three rooms visible from the entrance Marco can see.

The first is the living room, in the center is a glass coffee table, and a black leather couch in front of that on the back wall. There's a glass leading to a balcony on the right wall with a lovely view of the ocean. In addition there's an older model of a flatscreen, roughly 28 inches, black, and mounted on the wall. Under it is an older game console Marco could recall from when he was a kid. A gamesphere.

So he knows Steven has good tastes in videogames.

However that doesn't help with the case.

He then turns to the dining room which is adjacent to the kitchen. The dining room as one light over a birchwood dining table that can seat four. However all the chairs but one are pushed in, as if Steven hasn't had company in a hot minute.

Finally the kitchen, the standard affair with a black oven, white fridge, and white tile flooring. Nothing of note in there.

Steven exits the kitchen with two plates, a burger on each, and hands one to Marco. Both sit at opposite ends of the dining table and discuss.

"So what did you wanna know?" Steven inquires.

"Did the Traveler use mewmen magics?" Marco inquires.

Steven shakes his head and replies, "Buddy if I did I wouldn't know it. I don't know about Mewni all that much. I only spoke to Comet once a few days ago."

"Oh wait you're coming to the watch party of the new season of-" Marco recalls.

"Yeah," Steven nods with a smile, "Did it not click that the Steven she mentioned and I are one and the same?"

"She didn't mention meeting a demigod," Marco responds with an embarrassed chuckle, "You think a privite eye like me would make the connection."

"Eh my birth mother being a Diamond doesn't make me speical," Steven replies, "At the end of the day no one is, or rather, everyone is one could say. I'm not a hero or anything, just some dude who did his best."

"Yeah I know that feeling," Marco replies, "Back in the day I felt like I playing hero because there wasn't a real hero to fill the role."

Steven nods in agreement, "Yeah. We were just playing hero. We weren't speical or chosen. Man feels good to meet someone who understands that!"

Marco replies, "It sure does."

"But you've pulled off some amazing feats," Steven reminds, "Didn't you develop a whole new fighting style in the Neverzone? That place where time is warped and passes a ton faster compared to the outside?"

"Yes actually," Marco explains, "And I used it along with a monster arm I got from Toffee to take on even the Magical High Commission at times, demigods."

"What did they call your fighting style?" Steven inquires from curiosity, "It had a cool name..."

"I beleive it was..."

Marco's Hero Style: Dueler of Demigods.

"But we're off track," Steven points out, "So about this criminal you're after."

"Yes what do you know?" Marco inquires.

"He was half Gem half..." Steven stops to think before he replies, "Something. Not anything I've ever seen."

"Would you say he looked mayhaps..." Marco inquires getting an idea, "monstrous?"

"He could pass as human but I suppose so," Steven replies, "He escaped via a portal opened by a pair of scissors."

"A half Gem half monster?" Marco mutters to himself, "And a portal... that's a lead..."

"Was it like this?" Marco asks opening a portal with his scissors.

"Yes exactly like that!" Steven exclaims.

Marco smirks, recalling that Hekapoo reigns over the dimension hopping cutting utensils, and that that means he can track the suspect.

Marco finishes his meal and gets up, explaining, "Thanks a ton Steven! Was a real pleasure meeting you."

"Hey if you're free wanna head to a concert?" Steven inquires, "I heard there's one downtown this week. Wendsday I think it was."

"Oh I would love too," Marco replies with a smile, "I'll meet you there if I'm free."

"Great!" Steven replies eagerly, happy to have finally made a new friend in his new home.

Marco goes through the portal, "Cya soon Steven!"

With that Marco leaves through the portal.

"Farewell friend," Steven replies as the portal closes.

Meanwhile, in a garden in Eclipsa's palace, Toffee waters some red flowers. He gives them a sniff, enjoying the sweet scent scent. He walks over to a bed of black flowers, they appear to wilt, but new buds bloom, seeds from the flowers once in the bed. He waters them too, recalling an old project of his. His phone, a magical mirror, rings. He opens it and his eyes go wide with shock as he sees the news.

"It's him!" Toffee exclaims in shock, "It's her son! I have to warn the High Commission..."

Toffee quickly opens a portal and goes through as on his mirror there is a clear image...

Of the Traveler's face, with charges of robbery of the Magical High Commission...