Nineteen

They didn't know something about each other. It had only been a couple of months. She tried her best to not meet or see her, denial of was her companion for over five months. She didn't want to inflict confusion to her anymore. But Seulgi was here now, her hands holding her, fingers loosely intertwined in hers, and a gentle gaze that landed on her every now and then. It was overwhelming, but Irene will not run away again. Enough of that. She battled with her feelings, having to believe what was socially, ethically, and ideally right. Her mind was restless with reasons and excuses that would ease her heart from her growing feelings. Initially, she didn't want it. But Irene thought it was time for her to be happy too. She didn't know Seulgi personally, but her heart yearned for her and she couldn't deny that.

Irene thought of her friends. Not over a year of knowing their neighbors but there they were, smitten and whipped. Sometimes she would think of them as hopeless women. But she was somewhat thankful, because she could see the sincerity Taeyeon, Jisoo, Wendy and Lisa have for her best friends. She was thankful it was them, not just some of those douche bags who were after their money or body. She unconsciously tightened the hold in Seulgi's hand, making the younger look at her. The light turned red, so Seulgi could freely look at her.

"Something wrong?"

Irene shook her head. "Nothing. I just wanted to go home and take a shower."

Seulgi remembered how that filthy man kissed Irene. Her inside started to enrage again. She saw from her peripheral view that the light had turned green. She maneuvered quickly and stopped on the roadside. Irene looked at her in confusion.

"Do you have wet napkins?"

Irene shook her head, still confused. Seulgi reached for her handkerchief. Irene stiffened when she leaned. Seulgi wiped her lips, her cheeks and her neck. Irene saw the angry eyes and she grew intimidated, remembering how Seulgi had beaten her attackers.

"I'll kill him for kissing you and for touching you. Goddammit. If I was a minute late I don't know what they could've done to you." Seulgi said in gritted teeth.

Irene softened. She reached for Seulgi's hands again. The younger relaxed at the touch. "It's not your fault. It will never be. I am thankful that you came and saved me." She scanned Seulgi's face and saw her bruised lips. Her finger traced that spot. The younger winced but didn't retract. "I'm sorry..."

Seulgi released her one hand to touch her cheeks. It was gentle she couldn't help but to lean at the touch. "It's not your fault. I will do everything in my power to protect you. If that is you will allow me to."

Irene smiled at that. Her heart quickened its beat. "Let's go home first and we'll talk about it. I feel sticky and... dirty."

Seulgi frowned. "You are not dirty. Don't say that." She said sternly.

Irene chuckled. "I didn't mean it that way. I mean, he kissed me, who knows where he landed his lips or whatever. It was disgusting and I just wanted to get rid of the feeling."

Seulgi sighed. She returned to the wheel and released the hand brake. "Have you eaten though?"

"Nope. I was planning to take out jajangmyeon though." Irene smiled. "Let's clean your cut too."

"Okay. Then let's just order. Maybe Seungwan had cooked dinner tonight. And I hope Jisoo and Lisa were kind enough to keep some for me."

Irene bit her lip when Seulgi reached for her hand again. "But Joy and Jennie were going to L.A. for the fashion week. Probably their flight took off hours ago."

"Then I hope Taeyeon unnie had cooked."

Seulgi entered their village. Irene felt disappointed that she couldn't spend time with Seulgi. The latter had seen it. "I won't leave until you feel better. And I did hint that I'll be eating dinner with you, right?"