Death Follows

The screams of terror and the shouting to get to cover echoed around her mind, clinging to every thought. She never knew the how big the burden she had to carry was, the burden of killing people, let alone thousands of them.

She woke up again in the middle of the night in a cold sweat while panting, and saw that she had frozen her pillow by accident. She looked over and saw it was still mid-night. She sighed and climbed out oof bed to get a drink of water. She walked into the kitchen and saw Barry sitting at the counter by himself.

"Barry?" Maddison asked as he looked over at her

"How are you doing?" Barry asked not a hint of emotion in his tone.

"I-I'm doing fine." Maddison said filling up a cup of water and sitting next to him, "How did you handle all of this by yourself for so long?" She asked

"Better me than you." Barry whispered

"Now i know why you didn't want us on the field." Maddison chuckled swirling her cup around

"I still don't." Barry replied.

"I still here their cries for help." Maddison shuddered as her cup and her hands began to shake uncontrollablely. Barry took her into a hug as she began to bawl her eyes into his chest.

"I'm sorry." Barry whispered. As Maddison continued to sob into Barry's chest, he looked up and saw Alice, Kara and Oliver standing at the doorway. Alice walked over and hugged Maddison as well, followed by Kara then Oliver.

"We're here for you Maddie." Kara smiled

"Th-Thank you." Maddison said choking on her tears as Alice poked her forehead. Maddison slowly felt her grief leave as she smiled softly at the blonde girl.

"Kara, Oliver you guys are probably next, if you're not ready for it I can sideline you." Barry said

"That wouldn't be fair if only you and Maddie had to go through all that." Kara said firmly

"Yeah, we can help." Oliver said

"What about me?" Alice chimed in

"You're my daughter, I'd never let you go on the field." Barry said causing Alice to pout because she wanted to be closer to her dad, but she was happy that he still cared about her.

*   *   *

A week passed and no new missions had been assigned to anyone, not even Barry and over that week Maddison, Oliver and Kara were training and honing their powers. Maddison nearly had full control over her ice and wouldn't spontaneously freeze things anymore. Kara wouldn't crush things in her bare hands and could control her hearing and x-ray vision. Dr Wells insisted that Oliver learn to use a bow to best suit his powers. Slade Wilson, also known as Deathstoke was teaching Oliver how to fight since since he was most likely to fight in hand-to-hand combat.

"That is your mission." General Belmont said as Barry, Kara, Oliver and Maddison sat their in shock.

"R-Run that by us again?" Oliver asked

"You four have been tasked to take down a country." General Belmont smiled menacingly

"An entire country?" Maddison asked, "There's so many innocent people there though." She argued

"In war, no one is innocent." General Belmont said before standing up, "Should you fail your mission, our nation will fall." With that said he left their dorm.

"What do we do Barry?" Kara asked as he rested his hands in front of his face.

"I'll evacuate as many citizens as I can." Barry said standing from his chair, "Our mission is tomorrow, be ready." He said before leaving.

"Am I going to be alone?" Alice asked sadly

"No, our friends Cisco and Caitlin will e looking after you." Kara smiled rubbing her head as Alice smiled and nodded

"What country are we supposed to destroy anyway?" Maddison asked

"I guess we'll find out tomorrow." Kara sighed leaving her seat as well and going to her room. Maddison and Alice followed as Oliver went to his room.

"Are you really going to try and save everyone?" Oliver asked seeing Barry facing the wall in his bed

"I will.....Belmont is an idiot for saying no one is innocent in war." Barry said.

*   *   *

As revenge for attacking them in the war, the US has sent four meta-humans straight into their borders. The cold winds swept through the air and through the streets of the country that was about to be destroyed.

"It's really cold in Russia." Kara shivered as Barry unconscienceously wrapped his arm around her. She could feel her face heating up but she allowed it because for some reason Barry was really warm.

"Russia is a current world superpower, if we take it out this will upset the balance and probably be disastrous." Barry explained

"And we're still doing it because.......?" Maddison asked rubbing her arms for warmth

"Orders are orders." Barry said as a large mansion entered their view. Dozens of armed guards surrounded the mansion.

"What are we doing here?" Oliver asked

"This is where the Prime Minister lives, once we take him out and everyone in governemt this country will be open and be unable to defend from an attack." Barry said.

"Okay, simple enough." Maddison said

"Here's the plan. Maddison I need you to create a fog to limit their vision and under the fog Oliver i want you to infiltrate the base and take out the guards on the east side of the mansion. Kara I need you to do the same on the west side." Barry explained

"O-Okay." Kara said.

"If you guys aren't ready, no one is forcing you to be here."

"Let's do this." Oliver said pulling his hood over his head and extending his bow