Chapter 10: The Girls Night

I haven't really been out a lot lately because of early call times for work, with the looming tour and all, but I don't have to come in until lunch tomorrow because the boys have a day off. They truly deserve it. They've been working early mornings and late nights in preparation for the tour and they have a day of rest to mentally prepare for the first stage practice the following day.

With my newfound late night freedom, I can't help but feel excited about being about to meet up with people I care about. Hyuna and Emilee have been such an integral part of my comfort in the company, I really feel like I can be myself with them. I'm truly glad that our schedules lined up enough for us to meet up.

I put on a pair of heels that I keep under my desk at work in case sneakers are inappropriate for something we have to attend, and I putting them on now seems appropriate. Brining my makeup bag with me today would have been smart but I didn't think about it so I can't do any touch-ups but I fish a pair of dangly earrings out of the bowels of my purse to try and enhance my look. I have a high waisted leopard print skirt with a graphic tee, the heels making the outfit go from day to night, like all those cosmo girl magazines I grew up reading.

Emilee has already snagged us a table in the back when I get there, she's already sipping on something fruity.

"Hi, Em!" I shout over the thump of the music and she smiles and waves me over.

She gives me a quick little hug, squeezing my shoulders.

"Hyuna's at the bar grabbing a drink," she points over.

I look over and find the purple-haired girl arguing with the bartender, a thin man with a long beard and small glasses. She grabs the drink out of his proffered hand and stalks off in a huff.

"I don't understand why he insisted on arguing with me about the effectiveness of shaken vs stirred cocktails. Shaken cocktails are not inherently better just because there is more movement. It just depends on how you stir the beverage!"

I laugh and she smiles, glad I understand. "Leave it to the barista to tell the bartender how to do his job."

"Trust me, if I could have made my own drink I would have."

Emilee releases the tip of her straw for a moment to ask, "Hyuna, what is the correct way to stir a drink?"

Hyuna smiles, flicking her hair out of her eyes. "Well, stirring in a circular motion doesn't do much for the drink because it does mix all the levels, which is why people hate stirred drinks and prefer shaken. BUT, the way to properly stir a drink is to use the j-hook technique. You move the long spoon down to the bottom and pull it up like a J and basically repeat it until it's fully mixed. Plus, if you shake something carbonated it loses the carbonation!"

Hyuna smiles and raises her glass in a cheers motion before taking a big gulp.

I turn to her, "Hyuna, I thought you were bringing your girlfriend along?"

Her face takes on a sad tone, "she was on call and got called in to help."

I nod slowly, understanding. Her girlfriend is a nurse.

"Aren't you going to get something to drink?" Emilee asks.

I was so content just sitting here being with friends I totally forgot we're at a bar!

"Yes! Yes, I'll be right back."

I weave my way through the throngs of bodies all pushed together close, sweaty, and swaying to the music. I bump into someone and nod my head to apologize, but they don't even notice. Too lost in whatever it is they are feeling. I can't even remember the last time that I felt that open and carefree, wide open and vulnerable. I've been living my life on fast forward for the last couple of weeks and I need to remind myself that it can be nice to slow down.