Chapter 15: The Gala

I really wasn't planning on ignoring Yoongi for another day, but it just kind of happened. After I agreed to stay on the bus with them, I left and went to buy everything they needed for the tour, we left in a couple days and I didn't want to wait too long and not be able to find them something. I paid on my own card and Richard told me he was reimburse me from the company, which I sure hope happens fast because I have yet to receive my first paycheck and money is a little tight, but that's not important.

What is important to note is that after I left their place I got a text from Yoongi telling me that he didn't care when but he wanted to talk before the gala. And I agreed, that sounded reasonable! The gala was days away, of course we would find time somewhere to hash out this awkward tension that we've been having since our...meeting. What I didn't expect is to not see the boys for days while running around doing errands for Geoffrey because he was very behind schedule for the gala and his assistant was out sit. Which is how I found myself showing up to the boys house with Richard to pick them up, not ready because I was unable to grab my dress from the designers, and not having talked to Yoongi. I texted and apologized and told him it wasn't on purpose, but the look on his face when Richard and I arrive tells me all I need to know.

He's pissed, and I'm in trouble.

"Rose! There you are! Quick! We need to get your hair and makeup done before we put you in the dress!" Gina, one of the makeup artists says to be right when I walk in, leading me over to one of the makeshift makeup stations in the dining room.

"Well, I actually already did my hair and makeup—" I try to tell her, but she doesn't hear me. Gina is already coming at my face with a makeup wipe and someone else is pulling the bobby pins out of my chignon that I spent a whole hour trying to pin up myself.

Someone tries to take my shirt off and I shriek, "Hey! Stop!" and bat their hands away.

"I'm just putting you in a makeup smock so we won't have to pull your shirt over your head with hair and make up done." Syd, one of the stylist's voice I recognize tells me, but I still fidget. Afraid that someone will see me just in my bra...

"No one is over here don't worry." She reassures me, and I let go.

I open my eyes while she takes it off to look around to make sure she was telling me the truth but the minute the top is over my head Gina is yelling at me.

"Eyes closed! I'll tell you when to open them," and I obey.

I wasn't expecting to have my hair and makeup done so I didn't arrive super early. I told Richard all I needed was to put the dress and shoes on and I would be good to go and now I look like a liar. I hope that this doesn't make us late...

"Eyes up!" Gina tells me and mine snap open, hoping my response time will move this whole thing along.

I can feel my hair being brushed and then twisted and braded into intricate pieces and then I start to feel pins sticking things into place. Gina is putting concealer under my eyes and I almost want to tell her not to bother, that my purple patches under my eyes never seem to fade no matter what I do, but I don't want to slow the process down. Then she starts putting foundation on and I can feel someone put some sort of pins in my hair that make a clinking noise when they touch. I feel a second hand start doing my eye shadow and I flinch at the unprepared hand.

"No moving!" Gina hisses, and another hand starts applying something sticky to my lips.

Now I understand those photos of models falling asleep in their makeup chairs. If you can't move or open your eyes, let alone any deep breaths it's so easy to lull yourself into some form of sleep. I find myself almost in a meditative space, there but not one hundred percent. By the time I'm socked back into my body and handed a mirror, I can hardly believe my eyes. The face that looks back looks like me, but different. Brighter, shinier, more awake. I guess that's the power of professional hair and makeup.