Chapter 64

Chapter 64

Elys's parents' names were Alekos and Tasia. He had father's eyes and looks and sense of humor, his mother's smile and laugh and pure heart. Being able to get to know them, in hearing their thanks in keeping their little boy safe and happy and loved, it made Jai miss him all the more.

He didn't know how much time had passed there in the land of light and shadows. Time worked differently here. Had it been mere days since he came, or had it been months, years? He didn't want to think about it. How much his world had changed without him.

All he knew was, that morning when he woke up in bed, a sharp sensation surged through his chest. It didn't hurt, of course. It was more of a shock, both physically and emotionally...because it was the mating bond between him and Lyv that caused it. Instead of the frayed end disconnecting him from her, it was shining bright and whole once more.

He didn't understand what that meant.

But the I love you he'd heard whispered down it to him...he could almost see her saying it to him, see that light in her eyes as she looked at him, feel her hands smoothing over his skin.

Now, he was sitting around the large dining room table, laden with food and wine, surrounded by his newfound family. Bence sat to his right him, pouring him his second glass as he grinned at Alekos, who urged him to fill it to the rim as Lenora and Tasia rolled their eyes. Balian was in lively conversation with Meron across from them. On his left, Faraine smiled up at him, everything about her healthy unlike that last time he'd seen her. Then, she'd looked so sick, so close to death. Not now. Not here.

There was no sadness here in the land of light and shadow. Just love and happiness and peace.

Just as he did every night around the time they sat down for dinner, Jai's gaze drifted to the front door. When he'd first come, just as Bence had led him inside the house, he immediately asked him if Destan was there, too.

"He's only been here a handful of times since I have. Maybe two or three times and it's only for a few moments. Mostly, he's off with that mate of his," Bence smiled. "I'm sure you'll see them soon. I don't know where they go, but they don't stay here."

Mate.

So, he did find his mate here.

And, according to Lyv, it was Adeena, Cleo's twin sister.

"What do you mean by here?" Jai asked him then.

Bence's answer confused him. "Here...as in the land of light and shadows."

If not there...then where?

He didn't have time to think about it. There had been too much to talk about, too much to do and see in this afterlife Jai would be in forever. That sole thought had his heart aching, having dreamed of a life in Ayveri with Lyv and their family and their baby girl.

And yet now, something was tugging him toward the open dining room doors and to the wide, wooden ones that lead out to the front of the house.

"Are you all right, Jai?" Faraine asked him as he slowly stood from his chair.

Right when she did...there was a knock from outside.

Jai's heart raced with every step he took, the others curious to see who had come as they weren't expecting anyone else.

Because what was pulling him forward wasn't just that knock on the door, it was the tug on the bond inside him that was beginning to glow.

Taking a deep breath, hand on the door knob, Jai slowly opened it.

The light from the setting sun created an otherworldly glow around the female who stood with her back to him, white gossamer dress and burgundy hair with silver streak shifting in the warm breeze.

Jai's heart stumbled in his chest, then broke as soon as Lyv turned around to face him.

"Lyv," he said to her in a whisper. "You...no."

Except it was pure fury that sparked flames in her emerald eyes as she snarled, "You fucking bastard."

"Lyv, I..."

Then she lunged for him.

Jai caught the first hit against his jaw, rocking back a step with the blow.

"I hate you!" she screamed at him, throwing punch after punch into his chest and stomach. "I. Hate. You."

He didn't move to try and stop her, but the hits didn't hurt. Or maybe it was because he welcomed the pain, wanting it over seeing her there in the land of light and shadows with him. He didn't want her there, no matter how much he missed her and wanted to be with her.

Lyv's tears sparkled in those furious eyes as she glared up at him, still aiming punch after punch. "How could you do that to me, Jai Ayveri?" she demanded, voice cracking. With each hit lessening on impact, Jai took another step forward so her movements were more subdued, controlled. "How could you leave me knowingly? How could you do that to me and our family? How?"

He didn't answer. He couldn't.

Because he didn't want to leave her or their family either, even though he knew she wouldn't have succeeded in defeating Corliss and the darkness if he didn't.

"Answer me!"

"I'm sorry, Lyv. I'm so sorry," Jai told her, trying to grab for her hands which she just yanked away.

"Sorry," she scoffed, eyes dropping to his chin as her bottom lip trembled. "You knew, Jai. Dessa knew and she told you in her godsforsaken letter."

"You found it."

"Of course, I found it!" Lyv screamed, shoving him once more against the chest. "You didn't tell me! You should have told me and then we could have found a way just like we always have! And I hate you for it, Jai Ayveri. I forgave you for the Amory thing, but this...really leaving me without even saying goodbye...I can't...I won't..."

Her hands were still against his chest, fingers clutching onto the fabric of his tunic as she pulled him closer. Of course, he wanted to be, as close as he could get. Still, she couldn't look him in the eyes, so she closed hers.

"I love you," Jai told her, reaching up to brush her hair back from her face, then cradle it in his palms.

"I hate you," Lyv replied, but there was absolutely not hate, not fury behind her words anymore. "So much."

"I know you do. But I still love you. And I missed you fiercely."

Gods, when he somehow managed to make her laugh...he could listen to that sound all day.

Finally, his mate, his wife, his Alyvia was able to look him straight in the eyes, shining with tears and happiness and love.

"I hate you," she whispered, threading her fingers into the hair at the nape of his neck, pulling his face down to hers until her breath brushed across his lips, her lavender and sage scent wrapped fully around him. "I hate you, I missed you, and I love you. So, so much."

"I love you, too, Crown Princess Alyvia Deverell Ayveri," Jai smiled, making her laugh again at the sound of her full title before kissing her.  

***You have no idea how much I've missed the Jai POV chapters since he's been gone!  My babies are back together!  

And now...now we only have 6 chapters left and the epilogue...then this series is finished

What did you guys think?  Comment and vote!

Happy reading!

- Ansley***