Chapter Three

"Deathbringer, I - " I looked down without finishing my sentence. I had to tell him. I just had to. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Not now, not today. Maybe when the time was right and I actually laid the egg. For now, I still couldn't do it.

    "Queen Glory!" Liana burst in, covered in sap.

    "Liana!" I rushed to her aid, panicking, but also relieved. She saved me from telling Deathbringer, at least, for now.

    "What happened?" I asked.

    "The NightWing dragonets . . . they're throwing sap at Timeracer because she didn't come on an adbmure with them. What's that?" Liana added.

    "It's supposed to be an adventure, but they can't speak, so they say adbmure."

    "Oh. Well, they've covered at least half the village by now, trying to hit Lightmaker. They have terrible aim."

    Before she could even say 'aim' I was out the door, camouflaging. This time I flew. Passed the dragons, panicking because of the ripples, past my mother Grandeur, who followed me. She always knew it was me flying, somehow.

    "Mom!" I yelled. "Please don't follow me!"

    "Glory, come on. I know something's up."

    "Fine!" I said. "The NightWing dragonets are throwing sap at Timeracer because she didn't come to the Ice Kingdom with them! Happy?"

    "No." She said simply. "I know something else is wrong."

    "What?" I rolled my eyes.

    "You're with egg."

    I stopped. I couldn't fly in place anymore, the weight of the egg kept pulling me down to the ground.

"H-how did you know?"

    "I've seen the way you've been acting, and you have the same symptoms as I did when I was pregnant with Jambu." She rolled her eyes. "Deathbringer's a fool for not realizing."

    "To be fair, he's never had eggs."

    "True."

~At the hatchery~

    "Guys!" I yelled, my mother behind me. I noticed the village that was covered in sap as I landed. "Stop throwing things at Timeracer!" The dragonet was covered in so much light-colored sap, she looked like a SandWing who's tail barb had been cut off.

    "But Glory!" They yelled "It's fun!"

    My mother walked up to them.

    "Go away, RainWing." They said.

    "I will." She grinned at me, and I realized what she was about to do. Standing where Grandeur was standing seconds before, was a NightWing with slightly purple scales, and white scales near her eyes.

    "Fatespeaker!" The dragonets squeaked, sitting up in attention.

    "Listen to your queen." She said in her best imitation.

    "Of course! Wait . . . Queen?"

    "You didn't know?" She asked, bending down.

    "N-no..." Lightmaker said while Timeracer said,

    "Yes."

    "You knew?!" Said Nighthunter turning to face her.

    "Yeah. That's why I didn't come on the adbmure with you. I knew she would be mad."

    "Why didn't you tell us?!" Rainshatter demanded. Timeracer winced.

    "I tried to. But you waved it off and flew away."

    "Oh." Rainshatter said. "Sorry."

    "It's okay."

    "Are you going to get along now?" I asked.

    "Yes, Queen Glory." They said.

    "Good." I replied. Then I gestured to Fatespeaker - I mean Grandeur, and flew off back toward the royal hut where Deathbringer scolded me for leaving without him.

~The next night~

    "Deathbringer!" I called.

    "Yeah?" He said, poking his head out of the room.

    "I'm going to check on Jade Mountain, okay? Make sure it's ready for the next semester."

    "Okay! See you soon then!"

    "Bye!"

    "Bye!"

    I flapped out of the room, every muscle in my body protesting. But I kept going. I tried laying the egg once before, and I failed, but this time I was sure it was time.

    "Hi Glory!" Said a voice, startling me out of my thoughts. I turned around to face a very excited - and very pink - RainWing.

    "Oh, um, hi Jambu. Uh, what are you doing up this late?"

    "What are you doing out this late? Where are you going?" He asked. I knew I had to say something.

    I hesitated for a little and finally made up my mind. My brother could know. He was my brother, after all."Follow me and you'll know." I said.

    "Okay!" He said. I rolled my eyes. If this didn't keep Jambu in his mood, I would be surprised. He never stops being cheerful. Except for a few times. My mother said from the moment he hatched, he was the same shade of pink he always is. That bothered me slightly, so I didn't think about it.

    When we got to the place I chose to lay my egg, I sat down. It was an enclosed space, far away from the other eggs, so I could keep track of which egg was mine, and so no one would find out about the egg before me wanting them to know.

    "So . . . what did you bring me here for?" He asked, looking at me.

    "Well . . . " Before I could finish my sentence, there was pain like I never felt before. There was something coming through my stomach, and my brother stared in shock as a small - but colorful - NightWing egg came out.