Chapter 22

Verona quickly ran over to Janice and helped the other woman to her feet.

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. That was Kevin, I'd remember that smug son-of-a-bitch anywhere. We have to try to save Alyssa," the petite blond said. She had become surprisingly sober when she went flying. She knew Verona wasn't the one to push her, and Alyssa was too far away. She believed she had a guardian angel with her, and with its help, they were going to get her friend back. "Come on."

The girls made it to Alyssa's 94 teal Grand Prix and hurriedly jumped in. The car, for being so old, was in surprisingly great shape. As they made their way to put off the parking lot, they both scanned around for signs of Kevin's white Ford Taurus.

"There it is, Verona," Janice told the other woman as she spotted the car turning a corner two blocks ahead of them. "Get as close as you can, with out being seen." Even though she had sobered up, she still hadn't felt confident enough in herself to insist on driving.

"I see the asshole. Here," Verona said while digging her phone out of her pocket, "call Dec. Let him know what's happening." Verona really did want to inform Declan of the situation, but she was a little intimidated when she imagined what his reaction would be. She actually wanted to survive the night, and she was afraid of the big man. She didn't want to be the one on the receiving end of his anger. She wasn't stupid.

Janice took the proffered phone and scrolled through the contacts until she came to Declan's name. She quirked an eyebrow, but said nothing when she noticed the contact picture was of a black wolf. She held her breath as she pressed the call button, and it started to ring. It was answered on the second ring, and for some reason she couldn't quite place, Janice suddenly felt nervous.

"Verona? Is everything alright?" Declan asked as he came on the line. Janice could hear the sounds of people and shuffling papers in the background, and knew he wasn't alone. Crap. This was not going to be pretty.

"It's Janice, Declan. Alyssa was kidnapped as we-"

"WHAT?!" Declan roared over the phone, causing her to automatically wrench it away from her ear. She could hear him cussing up a storm on the other end of the line, and could just imagine everyone cowering in fear. She quickly glanced at the pixie-pixie-ish woman sitting next to her and frowned at her. Verona knew this was going happen, and hadn't warned her. The chicken shit.

"Shut up and listen Declan!" she yelled to get his attention so she could continue. She quickly glanced at the phone again when she thought she heard a growl. "Kevin stole her as we were coming out of the club. Verona and I are chasing him now. When he finally stops, we'll grab her and book ass. I don't know how he found us."

"He might have traced her cell," Declan replied, still trying to calm down. He was on the verge of losing himself to his wolf, and it was taking all of his control not to shift and hunt the bastard down. No one took his mate, and lived to regret it. "Ok, where are you? And were's Verona?"

"Verona's driving. We're... Oh shit, where are we?" Janice looked at Verona when she didn't recognize their surroundings.

"Heading east on highway 19, just outside town. He's about half a mile ahead of us, but I don't think he's realized we're trailing him yet. He's slowed down to normal driving speeds. Cocky bastard probably thinks we aren't going to save her. I don't know where he's going through, so you guys better hurry, Declan!" Verona said. She knew the Alpha would hear her even though Janice still held the phone. She also sent him a mental picture of Kevin's car, and the landmarks around them.

"Ok, you got that?" Janice asked.

"Yea, we're heading out now. Don't lose him. We'll meet up with you and we'll get her back," Declan said as he sent a look to Connor.