Chapter 4

"What the hell happened to you during lunch?" Janice questioned her over the phone later that night.

"Hi, Janice, so nice of you to call. How are you?" she replied sarcastically.

"Don't start, Lys. I want answers! What happened?"

"I don't know... I was just uncomfortable. He kept staring at me! It was weird. I just had to get out of there," Alyssa responded while sitting in the living room of her her one bedroom apartment.

"Oh, Lyssa," Janice sighed heavily. "Hunny, why didn't you just say something? Declan looked so hurt when you left. I thinks he thinks you don't like him, babe."

"What was I supposed to say, Jan? 'Hey, Declan, quit staring at me, you freak!' I think that might have hurt his feelings more. Besides, I really needed to get out of there before I took your suggestion and threw him on the couch and attacked him. I don't know what, but there's just something different about him..." she trailed off.

"Are you kidding me?!" Janice shrieked. " Does our little Alyssa finally have a crush? I can't believe it. Wait until I tell Johnny!"

"No! You can't tell anybody! Please, Janice? Please?" Alyssa begged.

"But, you never liked anyone since I've been with Johnny. We worry about you Hun. We were about to start trying to set you up with our single friends."

"You have single guy friends?" Alyssa asked her friend skeptically.

"Well, no, not me actually. They're all Johnny's college buddies I think," Janice confessed with a chuckle.

"I appreciate the confidence!" Alyssa replied sarcastically. "But please don't try to set me up with anyone. I'm a big girl. I can find my own dates."

"Does that mean you're going to ask Declan out?"

"No. He probably already has a girlfriend. Besides, even if he were single, I'm sure he wouldn't be interested in me."

"Are you kidding me? He kept asking questions about you all day! That boy is definitely interested," Janice reassured her.

"Whatever," Alyssa laughed. Glancing at the clock on the wall she realized how late it was getting. "Hey Jan, its late. I have to start getting ready for bed if I don't want to be a zombie tomorrow. I'll see you at school, ok?"

"Fine, but this conversation isn't over! See you tomorrow, babe!"

After they disconnected, Alyssa went to get ready for bed.