Chapter 14

OCTAVIA

WHAT'S WITH the quizzes today? The professors didn't even say anything and yet, had the audacity to tell us that we're going to have a fifty-item quiz. Good thing that I was able to read our topic in advance.

And, right now, I am currently reviewing for another. It's better to keep myself busy rather than let my mind replay the heartbreaking expression of that girl with an amiable facade. "Lexi, can you pass me the highlighter?" I asked while still reading the book.

Kinuha niya naman ang pinapaabot ko at binigay sa akin. Nagre-review din siya dahil si Tori ay hindi namin alam kung nasaan. We're currently in the BSBA lounge to get some peace after an exhausting morning.

I wonder how is she? She's going to stop showing herself to me right now, right? I would be lying if I'll say that what I told her didn't hurt me. And, I'm beyond confused as to why am I feeling this way when I didn't even feel anything when I abruptly cut off people in my life before.

What's with her, then? She's just too different from others. She's honestly incomparable and it draws me closer to her, more than what I'd expected. She's that ensorcelling bright light, but walks with confidence in the abyss of darkness.

"Where's Tori, anyway?" Pag-iiba ko sa usapan nang matulala sandali.

"Papunta na raw rito." Sagot niya habang kumakain pa ng chocolate. I unconsciously stared at her.

That girl loves eating sweets, especially chocolate. Lagi ko siyang nakikitang may kinakain na chocolate, o 'di kaya ay gatas sa lunch niya. She also likes sandwich. May bitbit pa nga siyang tumbler na laging gatas ang laman. She's really a kid at heart.

I gradually shook my head to dismiss the surging thoughts about her. This is not good, for real. I should focus on reviewing so I can get high scores and make my parents proud.

I keep on telling myself to focus on one thing, and yet, I also keep on going back to think about her. Nakak-frustrate na. What's with her that doesn't make me stop thinking about her? She's just nothing in my life. She's not even a friend so why the hell can't I stop it?

I'm already having a bad day with these unanswered questions circulating in my head, then, someone abruptly barged in the room. Malakas ang pagkakabukas niya ng pinto kaya nahinto kami ni Lexi sa ginagawa. I raised an eyebrow when Tori stared at me in disbelief. She's catching her breathe.

"What?" I asked when she intently stared at me as though she's accusing me of something.

"What did you, Octavia?" Seryoso at madiin niyang tanong kaya umayos ako ng upo. She's much serious this time, looking furious.

"What? Nagrereview ako. May another quiz tayo---"

"That's not it!" Pagputol niya sa sinasabi ko at napasuklay ng buhok. Maging si Lexi ay natigil sa binabasa at tumayo para puntahan si Tori at pakalmahin ito. What's with this kind of reaction?

"Tone down your voice, will you? What are you saying?" I don't feel good with her flustered reaction. Did something happen that made her lose her cool?

"Did you meet with Matthew?" She asked instead and combed her hair upwards while tapping her foot on the floor, trying to calm herself.