THIRTEEN

Ever since the week started, Mirabel's coming birthday had been the talk of the whole school.

Miss Miracle walked into SS2 Peculiar, after the normal greetings, she went ahead to call the attendance.

"Adeboye Sayofunmi Christiana," Miss Miracle called.

"Present ma," Christy replied while packing her hair.

"Adeboye Seyifunmi Christian."

No response.

She looked around the class likewise other students.

"Christy, what of your brother?"

She shrugged, "I don't know, maybe he hasn't arrived or something, we don't come to school together again?"

Miss Miracle nodded, "Tell him to see me when he arrives," then she went on to call other students names.

"You only have till next week before the revision week and then your exams, I believe you all know what that means and I hope you'll make me proud, good day," she strutted out of the class and noise resumed.

Tife turned to Dera who had been quiet since she arrived at school, "Now, Dera, will you talk now? What's wrong?"

Dera looked at her, "It's nothing."

Tife scoffed, "I know there's something wrong, it's related to the call you got on Saturday right?"

Dera bobbed her head.

"I told you something was wrong," she turned to Mimi who nodded.

"Now, are you ready to share it? Is it that bad? You know we're your friends."

Dera sighed, she glanced at Mimi before talking, "My mom was rushed to the hospital after getting into an accident."

Tife and Mimi's eyes widened simultaneously before Tife did the talking, "Ah, I hope she's better now?"

Dera shook her head, "She hasn't regained consciousness, I can't lose her, I don't know what I'll do if she dies," she sniffed and Tife quickly pulled her into a hug.

"It's okay, everything will be fine, nothing will happen to her," Tife assured while hoping nothing bad happens to her, she was Dera's only family, her dad had abandoned them since she was young and the mother had taken up the responsibility alone.

Mimi ran her hand through Dera's hair before she withdrew from the hug.

"Thanks guys, I feel a little bit better now that I let it out," she smiled at Mimi who smiled in return before scribbling on her jotter

Should we go and get something sweet to eat?

"I agree, only something sweet gets you out of a bad mood," Tife said and Dera laughed.

***********

Christian got down from the car and the first person that approached him was Inaya. His frown turned into a smile, he'd arrived late to school because of his incompetent driver who didn't check if the car was in good condition the previous day.

The car had stopped halfway to school and he'd been so riled up, even while the driver had told him to wait so he could get the other car, he'd angrily called his dad to fire the driver but he knew it wasn't possible, his parents were nicer than that and he hated it. He had to order an Uber to school in annoyance.

"Hey, what happened to your car?" Inaya queried as she watched the Uber drive out of the car park.

"It had a fault and the stupid driver didn't check it last night, anyway, why are you just coming to school too?"