TWENTY TWO

It was the last day of the term, the school's atmosphere was somehow mixed, one for the happiness that the term had ended and the other for fear of their results.

"Miss Miracle should come quickly, I don't want to miss my flight," Tife said while looking at the entrance of the classroom.

"What flight?" Dera queried and Mimi nodded in addition.

Tife turned to them, " I told you I was leaving with my mom to Georgia."

"I thought you were joking oo," Dera confessed.

"I wasn't, I can't stay home alone during the holidays so, I'm going to follow her."

"But what of your dad?"

"He left for Tokyo last night but he'll join us in Georgia by next week so, it's going to be a family vacation."

Dera wanted to talk but he entrance of Miss Miracle impeded her, the noisy class fell into a pregnant silence that instant.

Miss Miracle smiled at the whole class as she dropped the results on the table.

"So, it's the last day of the term and I believe you'll spend the holiday wisely, on to what we came here for, I'll be sharing the result like always from the last place," she picked up the first dossier from the table.

"Christian, oh sorry," she apologized and the whole class erupted into laughter, one that reduced the tension and heaviness in the air.

"Back to business, listen attentively," she rearranged the dossier before talking, "Kingsley Stone, Dera has already given you the position of the last place."

The whole class roared again as Kingsley got to his feet, he collected the result from her and walked back to his seat in deep thoughts, he would surely be in hot soup at home, Michael's mom would surely make jest of him likewise their father, the way he shifted from the seventeenth place to the twenty second place still baffled him, this holiday would surely be hell.

"Chidera Uche, you moved to the twenty first place, that's an improvement right? If you keep moving, you might get to the first place one day," Miss Miracle continued and Dera walked up to her.

"That's somehow true," she said before collecting her result while other students laughed.

She went on with the names, Mimi was surprised she hadn't heard her name since, she expected to still be at the bottom though she aced her exams but all her tests and projects were zero. It was after Lola's name was called that Miss Miracle called her as the fourteenth place, Mimi's eyes widened before she got a hold of herself and collected her result. She'd never come before Lola in any exam, Christian's tutor did pay well.

The distribution went on and on, Laiq was called for the tenth place, Rissa eighth place, Michael seventh place, Mirabel sixth place and Tife fourth place. Alex was more than furious as he heard his name in the third place, even after taking Benita out of his way, he was still third, he groaned in annoyance as he watched Christy collect her result as the second and Christian as the first, from there he made up his mind to get rid of one of them.

There was no way he could beat Christian so, he was the best option, he and Christy sometimes dragged the same position so it would be easy to come before her but there was no way he could come before Christian. He sighed in annoyance as his mind travelled to what he would go through at home, his parents would never accept third place from him.

"Bye guys, see you next term," Tife waved at her friends with a wide smile before entering the car.

"Bye," Dera, Mimi and Tomiwa chanted till the car drove out of the school compound.

Turning back, their eyes met with Christy who eyed Dera and Mimi before dragging Tomiwa away.

"Sometimes I do wonder if Tomiwa is just stupid, see the way she dragged him away," Dera huffed while eyeing their retreating figure while Mimi smiled.

"Gosh, that's my crush, I must see him before leaving, Mimi, will you come with me?" Dera asked in ecstasy and Mimi shook her head with a smile dancing on her lips, Dera's display was just so amusing, without any other questioning Dera ran to her crush while Mimi headed back to the class.

Halfway, a hand pulled her into the corner and she slapped Alex immediately she realized he was the one, attempting to walk away, he dragged her back.

"You can't go like that," he started with a sly smile and Mimi tried getting away from his grip which was tight on her hand.

"Today is the last day of school and I'll so much miss you."

She rolled her eyes and he smiled before trailing his hand across her face, she slapped his hand away quickly and he grabbed her neck.

"What's going on?" Christian queried and upon sighting him, Mimi jerked away from Alex grip and run up to him.

"What is going on is none of your concern," Alex spat, he was still angry at the fact that Christian came first.

Christian scoffed, "From what I witnessed, it's my concern 'cause I saw you drag her here and grab her tightly even while she gave had on an uncomfortable expression."

Alex smirked, "I already told you she's my girlfriend."

"Is that how you treat your girlfriend?" Christian retorted before holding Mimi's hand as he walked her to the class while Alex threw his fist on the wall in fury.

Mimi gave him a grateful look as he walked her to her seat, he smiled in return before heading towards his seat while Lola who had seen them enter the class looking somehow close rushed to Mimi.

"You guys were holding hands right?" Lola queried while Mimi looked around the class which was almost empty.

"Mimi, what happened? What's going on? Why did he hold your hands?" Lola questioned again and Mimi sighed, she wondered how she would explain it to Lola.

We werent holding hands maybe you were imaginig things.

"It had better be," Lola calmed down and Mimi crinkled her nose at the  statement.

***********

Christian didn't know when he smiled unconsciously upon sighting Mimi as she walked to the pool. Mimi who didn't notice his presence at the pool stopped on her tracks immediately she saw him smile at her. He waved at her to join him and she walked up to him, sitting beside him by the edge of the pool, their legs played in the water.

"I haven't seen you since the holiday started," Christian said and Mimi nodded, it was the fourth day since the holiday begun.

"Anyway, I'm glad I saw you today," he continued and she raised her brows.

"We are going for a family vacation tomorrow, we'll be leaving for Vietnam tomorrow, didn't mummy tell your mom?"

Mimi shook her head. Her mother never mentioned it so, she wasn't sure if Madam Lisha told her mother.

"There's no way Mummy would have forgotten that, maybe you just don't know," he said and she nodded.

They remained quiet while enjoying the warm breeze and the ambience, somehow Mimi felt sad that she wouldn't see him throughout the holidays.