Chapter 5, Year 1

August 24th, 1991
To Me,

I got off the boat gripping Draco's hand for balance- I was not going to fall in the water today. "Thanks" I said, "My pleasure Madame Amoor" he responded and kissed my hand jokingly.

I know this is crazy, I've known Draco my whole life. The boy with the slicked back hair and the "bitey" attitude, and a bad reputation. But when he kissed my hand and looked up at me that gave me some sort of feeling in my stomach. It couldn't have been the nerves, those felt different. I got thousands of little butterflies fluttering around. I couldn't believe myself, did I like Draco Malfoy.

But, never mind that I had to focus on sorting. I had lots of jitters. I followed Hagrid up some steps and we got to the entrance of the castle. It was grand made of stone, each wall was carved with an intricate design.

We followed Hagrid and he led us into the castle. We went up the steps, and he led us to one of our Professors, Madame McGonagall. She gave us smile. She was dressed in black, and had a silk black witch hat on.

Draco turned around to Harry. I was shocked, why would he do that? Then he began to speak, "So it's true, then. What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts" He pointed at Crabbe, then at Goyle. "This is Crabbe, and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." A boy with red hair began to laugh. Draco turns to glare at him "Think my name's funny, do you? Well, no need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down-robe? You must be a Weasley." He then turned back around to Harry. "You'll soon find out some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Draco then offered his hand to Harry. Harry responded awkwardly, "I think I can tell the wrong sort myself, thanks."

Before Draco could offer a rebuttal, Professor McGonagall interrupted. She began a very long speech about our sorting.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.
The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.
The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

I chatted with Draco and Daphne a little bit, and also got to know some other students names. I introduced myself to Harry, as well as Hermoine, Luna, Neville, and Ronald. They were all very sweet, I apologized to Harry for Draco's behavior. He said it was fine.
McGonagall came back. She opened the doors to the great hall. There were four grand tables, I got a seat at the empty one. Apparently it was for first years. I looked up in awe, candles floated in the air, and an image of the night sky grazed the ceiling above us. I asked Luna how they did it. She said in her soft kind voice, "I think they used the spell Wingardium Leviosa" I responded "Oh! I've heard my mother use that.". She smiled and had a seat.

Headmaster Dumbledore welcomed us to the school. The choir sang a song and then the sorting began. A few students I didn't know got sorted, then it was my turn, since I had an A last name. I sat down. The hat was placed on my head. Eyes were on me. I felt hot tears pricking my eyes, I was nervous. The hat began to speak to me. "Hmm... Clever, lots of Wisdom. Maybe Ravenclaw- but then again you are very ambitious, and cunning." I thought in the back of my head wondering what I would get. The hat then broke it's silence. "SLYTHERIN!". Cheers from the Slytherin table erupted.

I watched what seemed like hundreds of other people get sorted. Immediately when Daphne and Draco sat down they got Slytherin. I was hoping one of my new friends got Slytherin, sadly they didn't. Luna got Ravenclaw, and the rest got Gryffindor.
I didn't talk to the other Slytherin's I was a bit shy. Instead, I ate quietly chatting with my friends. "Of course obnoxious Parkinson got sorted into Slytherin" spat Blaise. Pansy slapped him on the back hard. "Shut up Zabini."

I continued to feast with my friends, it was going to be a great year. I was home.

It's gonna be a great year,
Lilith