Chapter 9, Year 1

September 8th, 1991
To myself,

Draco and I walked back. He kept quiet, he seemed a little upset, I was just uncomfortable. We walked his feet dragging along the the grass, as we crossed through the middle garden. We stepped foot into the hallway, no longer surrounded by the big arches of the garden.

I couldn't hold it any longer and I broke the silence.
"Hey, you good Draco.". I don't know what I was thinking asking that, he obviously wasn't. "Yeah, I'm fine". He said, his voice shallow of emotion dry and flat.

I had to cheer him up, "Listen, I know you're upset you didn't make the team. I get it, I would be too. But don't for one second think you are any lesser than before, you are Draco Malfoy and you are the best quidditch player I know." That ought to boost his ego, I thought.

Sure enough, I was right. He looked at me with a gleaming smile, his eyes sparkling. This was the Draco I knew, he was happy. "You really mean it?" He said still holding a smile.

I wasn't sure how to respond, I mean I obviously did but I can't just admit he's better than me like that. I decided just this one time I'd say it. "Yes Draco, I mean it." We both laughed, and he looked at me.

"I'll race you back to the common room!" He shouted. I galloped after him, rushing past students. A prefect from Gryffindor shouted out "Hey, watch where you're going!!". We didn't listen, the air rushing through my body, electrifying my bones. It was amazing, it felt just like I did on that raggedy old broomstick. It was old, but flying was amazing, it was as exciting as a day at the beach is for muggles.

I got to the door, just barely behind him. "Gotcha!" he said in between breaths. I was gasping for air, we ran far. I bent over to tie catch my breath, then looked back up at him. Malfoy's hair had gotten all messed up, no more slicked back hair, instead his smooth hair had been ruffled by the hair, little spikes running along his scalp the air had created. His hair reminded me of a dragon, the little spikes that ran among their backs.

Draco, I said. "Yeah?" he responded. I began singing, "Draco the dragon, with his white blonde hair!" He looked at me and said huh? Blaise came out of nowhere. "Accio mirror" he said, handing the mirror to Draco. "Take a look at yourself man!" he said with a smirk. Draco rolled his eyes then said, "If I catch any of you singing that- you'll be on your death bed." Then he walked away.

Blaise and I sat down by the fire, then he said in a mockingly tone, "My father will hear about this!" quoting Draco. I burst out laughing. I jokingly said, "We should make a book of his quotes Blaise!"

Daphne came down the spiral staircase. "What are you two laughing so hard about?" she said, sounding a little irritable. Blaise answered, "Its just Draco, he keeps saying all these ridiculous things." before we could think about it we all said in unison, "My father will hear about this!". At that point I was flopping around on the couch unable to catch my breath.

Draco stepped out of his room. "You know, these walls aren't soundproof. Maybe you should try using Muffliato." He said rolling his eyes. I whispered to Blaise, "I can hear his eyes scratching the back of his skull." Blaise responded muttering, "Shhh Maybe you should try using Muffliato". Quoting Draco, yet again.

We walked out of the common room, moving the painting. I stepped out lifting my skirt just enough to pass through. We ran into the great hall. I really didn't want to eat in here, I got an idea. "Hey Draco, Blaise do you have pockets?". They both looked at each other confused, Draco responding "Uhm yeah?" Blaise understood. He said, "Grab some food, let's make a run for it".

They stuffed their pockets with slices of bread, and assorted meat. "Grab me a pudding cup!" shouted Daphne. We ran out of the great hall making sure Snape wasn't looking. Theo ran after us, "Hey wait up guys!!!". We brought the food back to the common room. I said the password, "Snape Stinks" giggling. We all sat down on the leather couches.

"Sooooo" said Theo stuffing his face with bread, "Did you make the team?" he asked us. Draco and I made side eye contact, I was going to answer for him but he answered. "Daphne made the team- but it's okay. She said I was really good" he said with a grin." my face flushed red, I should've known this was going to bite me in the future.

"No I didn't!"
"Yes you did"
"Did not!"
"Did so!"
"Did not!!!" I shouted.

Daphne cut in, "Okay, okay, thats enough, don't need to boost your ego anymore Draco." We all finished eating, we through all the crumbs into the fire, making sure to leave no evidence. I hid the dishes behind the stairs.

This wasn't gonna be a bad year.

Toodles,
Lili Sage