A Cough

On the first day of February I woke up late. Mitch was already up and I could hear him out in the kitchen, music playing at a low volume. Over the music I could hear the sizzling of the frying pan. I sniffed in deeply and the smell of.... Bacon and....... Pancakes filled my nose.

I got up and opened the door to my bedroom. I looked to see Mitch standing by the hob. He had a tank top and sweat pants on, his hair was thrown back into a beanie. He sung softly along to Another World by The Chemical Brothers.

I walked towards him, his hand went up to his mouth and he coughed loudly. It sounded really sore. I really didn't want him to get sick.

I snaked my arms around his waist and pressed my lips to his neck. "I hope you're not getting sick, little one. I wouldn't want you doing that." I said against his neck.

I looked up as he smiled. "I'm alright." He coughed again. It sounded chesty. He breathed in deeply, but his breath caught in his throat and he coughed again.

"Do you want me to go to Walgreens?" I asked frowning up at him. He leaned back so that his face was in front of mine. He stood on his toes and connected our lips.

"No, I'm going to go to the doctors if it doesn't get better." Mitch assured me. He turned back to the frying pan and flipped a pancake.

...

The next day:

I woke up to Mitch sat on the edge of the bed, trying to catch his breath. He was coughing loudly. "Mitchy, are you alright?" I asked. He nodded, lifting one finger up to signal that he'd be a minute.

He gasped for breath. "Mitch, I'm taking you to the doctor." I said kneeling up in the bed and rubbing his back.

"No, you're..... Not taking..... me..... to the..... Doctor." He said trying to catch his breath. His hand was on his chest and he breathed in and out deeply. "I just... need to... take a breather." He said. His breathing slowed down as he began to catch his breath.

I hugged him and breathed in his scent. "Better?" I asked when he had stopped. He nodded turning around to face me. He hugged me back and sighed.

"Sorry for waking you." He whispered. His voice was hoarse and raw.

"Hey, it's not your fault." I patted his back as he sighed again.

...

One week later:

We were in rehearsals and recording a new song that was going to be on the upcoming original album.

We had to keep stopping because Mitch kept coughing. We decided to take a break to rehydrate.

Mitch guzzled down a whole bottle of water. I began to walk over to him. I was really worried. He wouldn't let me take him to the doctor. He kept saying it was all ok. But it obviously wasn't. He had had this for over a week now.

"I'm fine. Just need to dampen the vocal chords." Mitch whispered giving me a quick kiss and walking back to the rest of the group.

I watched him cautiously throughout the rest of the rehearsal. Every now and then he would swallow hard or let out a stifled cough, but I could tell he was struggling.

...

The next day:

We were sat on the couch watching SpongeBob. Mitch cuddled into my side. I listened as he breathed in and out. There was a slight whistling noise as he did so.

I looked down at him and saw that he had fallen asleep. It was only three pm. That's not like him.

I shook him awake and he blinked his eyes open. "I'm going to go to bed." He whispered. His voice was hoarse and dry still....

"Mitch, are you alright?" I asked. I seemed to be asking that a lot at the moment. He nodded, his eye lids drooping shut and then opening again.

"Just tired. We've been busy lately." Mitch said. He waddled off to his room.

...

Two weeks later:

Mitch and decided to go out to dinner. He still had this cough. It was really beginning to worry me. He had become extremely tired lately and had started to loose weight.

We sat in Chipotle and ordered. "Can I just get a small salad?" Mitch asked the waiter. I frowned at him. That wasn't like him. His appetite had been down lately.

I reached out and held Mitch's hand. He looked me in the eye and smiled. "You're eyes are really beautiful." Mitch said. He seemed to be in a trance. We were lost in each other's gaze. I leaned in and connected our lips. I felt the usual spark begin to fly around my body. His lips were so soft and he was the best kisser ever.

Mitch pulled away unexpectedly. He was really out of breath. "I'm fine." He reassured taking a deep breath through his nose.

When we got home we both went straight to bed. I watched Mitch fall asleep instantly. I ran my fingers up and down his arm. His wrists had become extremely thin. Unusually thin. He didn't even seem to be on a diet. What was I missing?

I drifted off into a light restless sleep.

At about three am I felt a hand come in contact with my stomach, winding me and waking me up. My eyes snapped open to see that Mitch was sat up in bed. He couldn't catch his breath. His face was wet with tears.

I immediately jumped to his aid. "Mitch, deep breaths!" I said trying to make his breaths match mine.

"I- I can't!" He screeched. I could see the pure pain in his face. His eyes were rolling back into his head as his body became extremely under oxygenated.

"I'm taking you to the hospital." I said.

"No.... Please don't... I can't go to the hospital." Mitch pleaded. Tears streamed down his face as he breathed in and out.

"I have to, Mitch. I'm sorry." I said. I felt like crying but I had to stay strong for him. He thrashed his arms from side to side as I tried to lift him into my arms. "Mitch, please. We have to get you help." I pleaded.

"I can't breath..... I can't..... br..." He couldn't get the last word out. He let me lift him into my arms as he struggled to breath still.

"In and out, Mitch. In and out." I said.

I drive as quick as I could, thankful that the nearest hospital was only just down the road.

I ran in, him still in my arms. He had started to get his breath back now but was still breathing heavily.

A nurse quickly came up to me and I put Mitch down in a wheelchair. She pushed him along the corridors quickly until she got to a door. "You can't come in, family only." She shut the door in my face and I slumped backwards against the wall.

I fell to the ground. My vision became blurry as the tears filled up in my eyes.

A/N
Hope you enjoyed
Vote/comment/share

Social media
Tumblr ciaraturner1310
Twitter @CiaraTurner5