1

TW: drug abuse
AMELIAS POV
"Amelia get up," Derek said as he nudged me. I opened my eyes and looked at the clock. 6am. Time for school. Derek walked downstairs and I rolled over. I lived with Derek and his wife Meredith. I have for about a year, ever since my mom kicked me out. Last year I got into a really bad drug addiction with my boyfriend, I mean I kinda still am, nobody knows that though. Ryan and I have been on and off for about a year. My mom booked me off to rehab and Ryan stayed on the drugs. He stopped for a little bit but, it's not that bad. It's not. I only smoke a little and sometimes do oxy. Sometimes. Derek can't know though because he'll send me off to rehab again and I can't do that. I'm 16 and I hated it. Hated it.
"Amelia honey are you getting up?" Meredith asked as she stood in the doorway.
"Yeah," I said as I got up. I walked into my closet and put on jeans and a sweatshirt. I grabbed my backpack and walked downstairs.
"Is Ryan picking you up?" Derek asked as he handed me a bowl for cereal.
"Yeah," I said. Derek hated Ryan and he didn't hesitate to let me know. It was annoying.
"Do you have any tests today?" Meredith asked as she sat down with a cup of coffee.
"Yeah I have a history test," I said.
"You'll do good," Meredith said. Meredith was more supportive than my mother ever was.
"Thanks," I said.
"We won't be home after school we have work late tonight, are you good here after school?" Derek asked.
"Yeah," I said.
"No Ryan," he said, "I don't want him here when I'm not home."
"Can I go to his house?" I asked.
"Will one of his parents be home?" He asked.
"Yeah probably," I said, "his mom is always home."
"Fine," Derek said. Meredith gave me a sympathetic look as I grabbed my phone. Ryan was going to be here soon anyway. I looked at my phone and I had a text from Ryan.
"Hey I'm here," It read.
"Ryan's here," I said and grabbed my bag, "I'll see you guys later I love you both."
"We love you too Amy," Derek said. I grabbed a jacket and ran outside to Ryan's car. I opened the car door and he smiled.
"Hey," he said.
"Hey," I said.
"Cigarette?" He asked as we started driving away.
"Sure," I said as I grabbed the box out of his cup holder and grabbed a cigarette and lit it as I opened the window.
"What are you doing after school?" Ryan asked.
"Nothing," I said, "You can't come over tho Derek and Meredith won't be home."
"Why your stupid brother still doesn't like me," Ryan said.
"He's not stupid," I defended.
"Yeah whatever," he said, "that's why he never lets me over right?" I finished smoking the cigarette and threw the rest out the window.
"Don't worry about him," I said as he parked the car. He leaned in and kissed me passionately and I smiled.
"You should come over," he said, "my parents won't be home."
"Okay," I smiled, "sounds good."
"I also have some oxy for later," he said.
"Even better," I said.
-
I was at my locker during lunch break.
"Hey you're Amelia right?" I heard.
"Hm? Oh yeah sorry," I said as I looked up and saw a boy walk over to me.
"Hi," he said, "I'm Atticus, Atticus Lincoln."
"Hi," I said, "Can I help you?"
"You left this in last period," he said and handed me my spanish notebook.
"Oh my gosh thank you," I said, "this would definitely be helpful for the homework tonight."
"I figured," he said, "it's not problem."
"I'll see you around Atticus?" I said as I closed my locker.
"You can just call me Link," he said.
"See you Link," I said as I saw Ryan down the hallway.
"See you tomorrow," he said. I walked over to Ryan and he grabbed my arm.
"Who was that?" He asked firmly. I felt him squeeze my arm harder as he wanted an answer.
"He's in my spanish class," I said.
"Why is he talking to you?" He said as we sat down at lunch. I had no other friends besides Ryan. Which was good and bad, but, he didn't like me talking to other people anyway.
"I forgot my notebook in spanish he noticed and just brought it to me," I said.
"Okay," he said. I started eating my lunch and I felt Ryan staring at me. I looked up at him.
"What?" I said.
"Do you like him?" He asked.
"What are you talking about?" I asked.
"I asked if you like him," he said sternly.
"No don't be ridiculous," I said.
"Whatever," he said.
-
"How was your day?" Ryan asked as we were walking out of school.
"Good," I said. We walked out to his car and he handed me the box of cigarettes.
"How many are left?" He asked as we started driving.
"7," I said.
"Shit I'm gonna get have to get more from my dealer," he said. We were both underage so we couldn't get drugs legally anyway.
"You said you had oxy for tonight?" I asked.
"Yeah," he said and tossed me a small baggie. I grinned as he pulled into his driveway.
"Let's go," he said.