10

LINKS POV
"How's your friend?" My mom asked as I walked downstairs. It was really late and I was just grabbing a water bottle.
"She's okay," I said. It was just me and my mom. I had an osteosarcoma when I was 10, and after all of my treatments my parents got divorced. My dad still lived in town and I saw him every other weekend. It was nice. My parents didn't hate each other. They were friendly, they just couldn't stand to be married anymore. They're better as friends.
"That's good," my mom said.
"Yeah," I said.
"What happened?" My mom said.
"I don't want to talk about it," I said, "and I don't think she wants to either."
"Okay," My mom said, "I'm just glad she's okay."
"Me too," I said.
"You should invite her over," my mom said.
"Maybe," I said.
"You have Jo over all the time," my mom chuckled.
"Jo is my best friend," I said.
"And this girl is?" My mom chuckled.
"Amelia," I said.
"Amelia is?" My mom said.
"A friend," I said.
"Do you like her?" My mom asked.
"It's really complicated mom," I said.
"Okay," my mom said, "I won't ask."
"Okay," I said and walked back upstairs to my room and got ready for bed. Amelia went home tonight from the hospital and she was back at her house. I just hoped Ryan would leave her alone.
-
I woke up to my alarm. I got up and got dressed and grabbed my books and backpack. I checked my phone and I had a text from Amelia. God I liked her so much. I'm glad she got away from Ryan. I can't imagine what that was like for her. Nobody deserves a relationship like that. I looked at my phone.
"Hey I'm not coming to school today I feel a little sick," it read. I knew she was probably having withdrawals but she didn't want to say that.
"Okay, do you want me to bring you your makeup work after school?" I sent.
"I'm in really bad shape you probably shouldn't," she sent. I frowned.
"I don't mind," I sent.
"Only if you want to," she sent.
"I want to," I sent.
"Okay," she sent. I slipped my phone into my pocket and walked downstairs.
"Good morning," my mom said.
"Good morning," I said and made a bowl of cereal, "is it okay if I stop by Amelia's after school? She isn't going to school and I want to bring her her work so she doesn't fall behind."
"That's nice of you," my mom smiled.
"Yeah," I said, "and I want to make sure she's okay."
"You're very kind," my mom smiled, "that's my kind boy."
"Thanks mom," I chuckled.
AMELIAS POV
I was in hell. I felt like I was dying. This was worse the second time around. At least in rehab there was someone else in my room going through it too. Meredith and Derek were here for me but they didn't get it. They don't get it. I threw up again and Meredith rubbed my back.
"You're okay," she said softly.
"I hate this," I started crying.
"Amelia," Derek said. I looked at the door frame and Derek gave me a sympathetic look.
"Do you need anything," he asked.
"Can I please get a nicotine patch," I begged him.
"No," Derek said.
"Please?" I said crying as I hurled again. Meredith rubbed my back and I sighed.
"Mer I'll switch with you," Derek said. She got up and Derek sat down next to me.
"You don't need a nicotine patch," he said.
"I smoked 8 cigarettes a day and now I'm smoking none please," I said crying, "I can't stop sweating or throwing up."
"Amelia you did this last time at rehab you can get through it," He said.
"Hey um," I said and looked at him, "Link might stop by after school to give me some school work."
"What's the deal with him?" Derek asked.
"He's just a friend or something," I said, "I don't know."
"He seems nice," Derek said.
"Yeah he is," I said. I threw up again and Derek held my hair back. This was hell.
-
Ryan hasn't stopped texting me. Derek told me to block him but I can't. I still love him. No matter how much he hurt me I love him deep down.
"Has Ryan texted you again?" Meredith asked as she brought me a bowl of soup.
"Yeah," I said.
"Did you answer?" She asked.
"No," I said.
"Amelia the police said that they are forming a case against Ryan and we got a court date," Derek said.
"Court?" I said as I sat up.
"Yeah," he said.
"I don't want to," I said.
"Amelia," Meredith said, "this is what you want, I know you don't see it that way, but it's keeping you safe."
"What day is it?" I asked.
"2 weeks from Monday," Derek said.
"Okay," I said.
"Isn't Link coming soon?" Meredith asked.
"Oh shit," I said and looked at the clock, "can you answer for me?"
"He's your friend," Meredith said.
"I'm a mess I don't want him to see me like this," I said.
"Amelia," Derek said, "he saw you in the hospital yesterday."
"I know," I said. The doorbell rang and I froze.
"Answer the door," Meredith said, "it'll be okay." They walked into the kitchen and I got up and looked out the window. I smiled small as it was Link. I wiped my eyes and opened the door.
"Hi," I said.
"Hey," Link said and handed me a folder, "how are you feeling."
"Oh uh I'm okay," I shrugged.
"I brought you something else," he said and handed me a bag of cookies, "my mom bakes."
"Thank you," I said, "you didn't have to. Tell your mom thank you."
"I will," he said, "how have you been?"
"I'm doing okay," I said, "I got a court date, which is good I guess."
"It is good," Link said.
"Would you go?" I said.
"To the court hearing?" Link asked. I nodded.
"If you wanted me to go I would," he said.
"Okay," I smiled.
"Are you going to school tomorrow?" He asked.
"I'm not sure," I said, "still not feeling great, and the whole Ryan thing."
"He didn't come to school today," he said.
"Really?" I said.
"Yeah," he shrugged, "take it for what it's worth."
"Thank you for stopping by," I said, "it means a lot."
"You're welcome," he said, "I'll see you tomorrow? Maybe?"
"Maybe," I smiled.
"Have a good night," he said.
"You too," I said. I closed the door and walked into the kitchen.
"He's nice!" Meredith said.
"Were you eavesdropping?" I said.
"No," Derek and Meredith said. I opened the bag of cookies and took a bite.
"You should invite Link to dinner one night!" Meredith said.
"Why would I do that?" I said.
"Because that's what friends do Amy," Derek said, "friends hangout."
"And have dinner," Meredith said.
"No," I said.
"Oh come on," Meredith said, "I'm sure he would say yes if you asked."
"Friends have dinner together Amy," Derek laughed, "so think about it."
"Fine I'll think about it," I said, really trying to deflect the fact that I was starting to like him.