holidate

Tags: Smut! Taehyung x reader, small town hometown holiday au, tobacco use and uwus, TAKE CARE OF YOUR LUNGS KIDS, anytime I write Taehyung Yeontan is involved and I think that's beautiful, Tae says "woof" during sex and I think that's also beautiful

Word Count: 6755

It wasn't that you didn't like the holidays

You just didn't like being home for the holidays.

Seeing your family was always nice. Sort of. Now that work in the city was picking up, your time spent with your parents and sister was becoming a rarity. It was hard finding time to make it out to your little hometown, a several-hour drive from your current residence, let alone time your sister and her husband would be able to make the drive and meet up, too.

Eventually the initial high of catching up with everyone wore off, and awkward small talk turned into heated political debates – especially between you and your dad. Your sister's tales of domesticity turned into your parents' poorly masked disappointment that you were indeed still single and definitely not dating. You had always been a people pleaser, but after being on your own for a while, you weren't very good at keeping your family impressed anymore.

When things became uncomfortable, it wasn't like you could just slip out of the house, go get a quick drink to clear your head. There was one bar in your hometown – creatively named The Bar – and any time you tried to escape ended in an unwanted run-in with an old teacher or classmate or coach.

Yeah, the holiday magic had worn off long ago.

After a day of acting excited about the socks and gum you got in your stocking and sitting on the couch to watch corny Christmas movies, you lay in bed. In the morning you would pack up and head back to the city, another uneventful family holiday under your belt. You were exhausted, but as per usual, you couldn't sleep. Your childhood mattress was lumpy and way too firm compared to the tempurpedic mattress you had in your apartment, even layered with cheap foam toppers and soft, worn flannel sheets.

It probably didn't help you hadn't smoked a single cigarette since you arrived at your parents' house three days ago. Your mom remained unawares of your nicotine addiction; that knowledge would likely send her into cardiac arrest. So, when you found yourself at home, you toughed it out. Usually, you could make it. But that night, as you tossed and turned, as your neck got stiffer and your back got crampier, you caved.

God damnit, you really needed a cigarette.

"Fuck it."

You ripped the charger cable from your phone and squinted at the time – 1:36 am. Huffing out a frustrated breath, you rolled out of bed. Without bothering to change out of your matching pink and purple pajama set, you shoved your arms through your puffer coat and slipped on some boots, tucking the fleece bottoms into their leather. After throwing a beanie over your mess of hair, you grabbed your car keys.