Records And Exes

Bianca

Mystery man soon came back with my food. At this point, it was noon, and the thick, gray cloud outside wasn't making the day any younger.

I stare out at my safety sealed window, staring expressionless at the summer wind that blew the leaves around. Some crunchy, some new as a bud, fresh and big.

How long was I going to be here? I thought.

I didn't like being here. Even if I was away from most of the chaos, it wasn't natural for me.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted, by Mystery man walking into the doorway, with a tray of food.

It wasn't the same plastic food from the cafeteria, it actually looked edible.

He closes the door behind him, placing the food down on my bed, tilting his head at me, signaling for me to come to him.

I flash a quick smile at him, then sit down on my bed.

"Don't get too comfortable, we're gonna go outside and eat." He says to me.

I stare at him, confused, pointing out the window, revealing the gray ugly clouds to him. "Not when there's a storm coming." I argue.

He raises his eyebrows at me, turning towards the window for himself.

"If it rains, we'll go under the patios. Plus you haven't breathed fresh air in days. Let's go." He says, taking my food to the door as if I have a choice.

I groan, accepting defeat, as I follow him out the door, and to the outside area.

-

It was humid outside, and the air was hot and heavy. I didn't like it.

The weather wasn't usually like this, only during the summer. Hot all the time, and the sticky air floating around, making you want to jump in a pool to cool off.

We come across an empty picnic table, before taking a seat on it.

I glance at my food, my appetite actually starting to come back.

"Where'd you get this food from?" I ask.

It was a medium rare steak, with mashed potatoes, and brussel sprouts.

A smirk appears on his face, looking proud of himself for some reason. "I made it. I knew you wouldn't eat the other shit in there, so you better eat it or else." Mystery man says.

My eyes widen.

He made this?

Pretty good for a guy who kidnaps girls for a living and takes them to mental hospitals because they read their records without permission.

Speaking about records....

"Wow," was all I could say.

"Thanks," I say after.

He notices my shocked expression, feeling pleased with me. He genuinely looked satisfied with himself, with me, which was a look I never saw on him.

I grab a knife, and start cutting into the steak, taking a bite.

The juicy steak hit my taste buds, making me instantly miss this type of food. I miss everything.

Part of it was sad, because of the fact that I'll never get to eat this type of food for a while at least. But the other part of me was happy because at least I was actually able to be served this type of food.

I decided to take advantage of my time, continuing to eat the steak. It was cooked perfectly, how did he know I liked my steak like this?

He stared intently at me, the more I ate my food, savoring every bite.