Chapter 18

Disclaimer:

- this - means thoughts

this means creature talking in head

"this" means normal talking

James's P.O.V.

I take my mate, who is still crying softly on my shoulder, upstairs to his dorm, remembering which one it was from this morning. I didn't get a good look at it either, distracted by Severus, but now my eyes are immediately drawn to his bed.

I know it's his because it's not a bed, not really. It's a nest. And for some inexplicable reason, just the sight of it leaves me breathless. I don't know why; it's clearly imperfect- rushed and unfinished. It's the vague shape of a nest and filled only with school supplied bedsheets, pillows, and a duvet. But it's my mate's nest, and it's all I can do to not crawl into it and stay there forever.

Do it, James, please, nest-

But a choked sob flying out of Severus's mouth makes me turn away, focusing again on the love of my life.

"What's wrong, angel? Talk to me."

"Please, don't look at it, I forgot, I'm sorry, I'll make it better, I just need time-" For a moment, I'm confused, then realize he must mean the nest. It must be like.... I don't know. I guess I'll never know. Because a nest is who a submissive is, shows who they are, what they like, and who they love. A nest reveals more about a sub than anything, and having someone as important as your mate see it unfinished must be mortifying.

"It's fine. I know it's unfinished, my love. I'm not paying attention to it. I promise, it's alright."

But, nest...

-I know, Axel, but let him finish. Just wait a while longer and then we can spend a lifetime in it.-

"You're not looking?"

"No, I've already forgotten. I'll only look properly when you're finished, okay?" He breathes a sigh of relief. "There you go, you're so good for me, Sev." He keens, subconsciously rubbing his cheek against my scent gland. Pre-marking me. I practically melt. Then I remember-

"This wasn't what was wrong in the common room, was it? What happened then?" Severus stops abruptly, lifting his head so I can see his widened eyes as he remembers.

"I worried Luc and the others, made them feel bad. It was stupid and selfish and I'm really really sorry." I frown. It wasn't selfish, it was fear and sadness. Those are different things.

"When you flew away, did you intend to stay there all day?"

"N-no, I was going to come back."

"And did you know it would worry them?"

"No......."

"And did you want to go?"

"No. I-I thought you wanted me to. I wanted to stay with you."

"Then that's the opposite of selfish, my love. You were doing what you thought I wanted, and you didn't mean to hurt anyone. That's selfless, Sev."

"Oh."

"And even if it was, you've apologized. You realized your mistake and you won't do it again, right?"

"No, of course not."

"Then you've done absolutely nothing wrong."

"Really? You're not mad."

"Not in the slightest. Now, I think we need to clean up. Lead the way?" Severus nods, and I put him down, but hold his hand in mine. I can't bear to stop touching him. Even the thought of it is agonizing.

He shows me the dorms en-suite, and I shut and lock the door behind us so there's no interruptions. The bathroom is much bigger than the one in Gryffindor, but my eyes are instantly drawn to the bath, which looks like a much smaller version of the one in the Prefect's bathroom.

I silently lead my mate to the edge of the tub and turn the water on, then turn back to Severus. It hits me again just how stunning he is; ebony hair unkempt and messy from lying outside, porcelain skin dirty and flushed, head ducked and hidden under his long hair, and eyes fixed to the floor. His clothes- not that he has much on, only slacks- are especially worse for wear, ripped and stained with blood and dirt.

"You okay?" I murmur, not wanting to disrupt the comfortable quiet. He nods, eyes flicking up to meet mine. I slowly move my hands across pale, scarred skin, until they rest on his hips, keeping my eyes on his. He flushes red, not meeting my eyes, so I press my lips to a scar on his shoulder, inhaling his scent as I do. Axel whines in my head.

"So pretty." I murmur against his skin. "Such a good boy for me." I feel him shiver against me as he falls into my embrace. I move my hands in between us to the button on his trousers. "Can I take these off?" He stiffens, only slightly, like he's trying hard not to, but still enough that I notice. "There's a reason I ask, Sev. I care about what you want, so tell me.I won't if you don't want me too." He remains still and quiet, so I add, "Talk to me, mate mine."

"Just trousers, please?"

"Of course. Thank you, Sev, so good for me."

He's so pretty when he blushes like that.

Quickly, so he doesn't focus on it too much, I remove his trousers, then shed his cloak from around my shoulders. I turn off the water, and step into the now almost-full tub, reaching out a hand to him, which he takes blushing, and steps in after me. I sit down, pulling him into my lap. He presses his face into my chest, and I can feel the heat of his blush.

I start cleaning him, wiping away the dirt and blood clinging to his skin. I do so as slowly as possible, just savouring the feeling of my mate in my lap and his skin under mine.

I wash his hair and wings too, threading my fingers through soft tufts and feathers, massaging soap suds into his scalp and wing bones and savouring the quiet whines and -Oh Merlin help me- moans he makes as I do. 

I regretfully finish eventually, spinning him around in my lap so he's facing me. I stroke his cheek gently where the fresh scar is. I hope it won't remain, but know it most likely will. He doesn't know that though, and leans into my touch, closing his eyes. I take the opportunity to let my eyes wonder his body. And fuck, if I thought it was ever beautiful before, it was nothing compared to how he looks dripping wet and almost naked above me, skin and hair so clean they practically sparkle, face nuzzling into my palm.

It takes Severus a few seconds to realize I've finished, and when he does, he blinks his eyes open, smiling shyly at me. I feel the affection like a physical ache in my chest.

"So gorgeous." I murmur. "What's on your mind, gorgeous? Talk to me."

"Your turn." Oh.

His hands are now on my chest.

His hands are on my chest, then my shoulders. 

His hands are on my chest, then my shoulders, then my back and legs and arms and dear Merlin I never want them to be anywhere else.

Severus's hands, I realize, must have been personally crafted by any and all deities in existence. They are thin and delicate and so pale. His fingers are long and glide through the air and water like they're dancing. The tips of his fingers are smooth like stone and smooth like feathers and warm like a dwindling fireplace. I didn't realize hands had the power to take my breath away until my mate's were running over my bare skin.

Those hand take the cloth from my own, which look rough and calloused compared to his, and start running them over my body instead, washing away the grime and blood. Then, like I did him, his hands - hands like an angel's, hands like heaven itself - start washing my hair.

I thought I knew what the word boneless meant, considering I had been target for many attempted 'Brackium Emendo's  when I was playing Quidditch. I have literally had a boneless leg. But I realize, as I fall against my mate, I had no idea. 

If I'm being honest, I don't think I had much an idea about anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(1392 words.)