Chapter 23

Disclaimer:

- this - means thoughts

this means other half talking in head

"this" means normal talking

Severus's P.O.V.

The next few days are the best I've ever had. I spend my time in one of three places: class, with James, or building my nest. The former is the worst, the latter the hardest. I'd learnt about building nests from my mum, but to be honest it isn't really something that can be taught. As I'm doing it, I'm riding solely on instinct, and my instinct is very confusing and annoying. I suppose part of it is my late training, but I also desperately want it to be perfect, whilst the whole time dying to go and find James.

The classes I have without James are similar. Not that they last long - often involving James bursting in mid-way through. I love it when he does that. Because I get to see him, of course, but also because it means he cares that much about me - more than the rules, more than his NEWTs.

And besides, he's always in that mood when he does.

Right, Merlin. Don't get me wrong, I hate it when he's upset, but Merlin is he hot when he gets all protective and growly.

People are still rude. But it's okay. James always stands up for me, and I always calm him down. We're a good team.

A great team.

-Right.-

Anyway, I spend as much time as I can with him, and I can't get enough of it. But a lot of my free time is spent making our nest. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever done. I always get so close but it's never good enough. I try to draw inspiration from the one in our mate dreams - which we now spend every night in - but it's still not right. I'm only using stuff with my scent on it and I hate it. The dream one has a huge variety of scents, but especially James's. But I can't ask him. I don't know why, but every time I try I get so anxious. I should be able to do it by myself. It's a submissive's job, the one thing I can do for James. I can do it, and I can do it without his help.

So yeah, it's taking a while, and I hate that. And I can tell it's affecting James too, even if he tries not to show it.

"You're done with classes now right? Can we do something? Just me and you." It's been over a week since he killed the chimaera and rescued me. I said our nest would have been ready days ago, but it's nowhere near done.

"B-but the nest?" At this he frowns, and rigs me from where I'm curled up to his side in the courtyard into his lap, facing him.

"Sev, you spend all your time on that nest. And I love that you care so much about it, but it doesn't need to be perfect."

What does he mean? Of course it does!

"Yes it does," I say quietly. It does because the better it is, the better I am.

"But it's only temporary. You know what our permanent one will look like, and it's not at Hogwarts."

"Still not good enough." I look down, embarrassed to admit it. That I can't do it. But he tilts my head up and meets my eyes. Whatever he sees there makes him frown and press his lips against mine.

"As long as you're trying, it's more than enough," he murmurs against my mouth. "But I have a feeling you're not going to believe me."

"Sorry." He kisses me gently again.

"Don't be. I have an idea." I cock my head, and he smiles at me. "You're only using stuff you have, right? Your blankets and pillows and stuff." I nod slowly, dread starting to bubble in my stomach like acid. He's figured it out. That I need help, that I'm too pathetic to do it by myself. I can't complete the simplest of submissive tasks.