Chapter 2

Disclaimer:

- this - means thoughts

this means creature talking in head

"this" means normal talking

James's P.O.V

I sat in my room, waiting in anticipation. Today was the day. My 15th birthday. I would finally receive my creature inheritance! I had taken every precaution I could, but by now I realize nothing could have prepared me for this.

I had never felt pain like this before in my life. Every breath I took felt as if it were collapsing my lungs, which only made the pain harder to bear. It felt, quite literally, like I was burning from the inside out, with fire flowing through my veins. It felt inhumanely hot and cold at the same time. It felt unreal.

But, this was pain. 

And it was worth it. 

Because after the pain subsides, I will be able to meet my other half, my best friend, my brother, for the first time. I'll have the body and power I was born to have. But, best of all, I'll find my mate. 

For all of that, I am willing to go through the pain, for however long, to finally go through my inheritance. But, suddenly, the pain goes, leaving me to succumb to the dark and quiet.

--------------------------

When I wake up, I find my head hazy and pounding. I look up to see my mother at the foot of my bed, smiling at me. 

"James, sweetheart, wake up", I hear my mother call to me. 

I shake my head, trying to clear it, as I sit up with my mother's assistance. I look around the room and notice that nothing is blurry. I can see without my glasses!

Oooh, who is this? She looks friendly. And why would we need glasses? We can see perfectly fine now.

I jump. I instantly relax when I hear my creature talk to me.My mother immediately starts to fuss over me. Not that I mind it, but it can be a little much when all I need is some space. I ask my mother if she could leave me alone for a little while, and she says something about getting me some food. I try to speak to my creature again.

-Hello?-

Hey! My name's Axel. Your name's James, right? It's so nice to finally meet you!

-Yeah, it's James. The person that just left is our mother, and to answer your other question, I used to need glasses to see, but apparently not anymore. So, what creature are we?-

Well, we're a Kitsune. Y'know, a fox demon. 

-Well, what exactly is a kitsune. I'm glad to know what I am, I just don't know much about the creature itself.-

A kitsune, like I said, is a fox demon. I think the legends about us originate from Japanese folklore. Anyways, some of our mew abilities include forming illusions, teleporting, shapeshifting, creating fox-fire, and to some extent can control an element.

-Can you elaborate, please?-

Teleporting is easy enough to understand. Our shapeshifting allows us to shift from human to hybrid to fox by concentrating on your magic core. It's pretty hard to do unless you have some sort of adrenaline rush, at least right away. Obviously, we can form illusions, but only if we really truly believe what we are making is real. That way it can materialize. Now, our mate is the only person that can see through the shapeshifting and illusions. I suppose that is kinda like a defense mechanism in case we're in danger.

-Our mate?-

Yeah, I'll get there in a second. Now, fox-fire is really difficult and dangerous. I would advise you not to use it unless you absolutely have to. When we rub two or more of our tails together, we can make lightning or fire, which is commonly used as a weapon, or in other cases, guides and toys. Last but not least, we can control part of an element. Now, these are oriental elements, stuff you humans don't exactly believe in. There are maybe 12 categories of elements: Wind, Earth, Fire, Water, Forest, Mountain, Thunder, Time, Music, Celestial, Dark, and Spirit. The hardest three to master would be Celestial, Dark, and Spirit. You already have a certain type accustomed to you, but you can train with it to become stronger with it. Fire is obviously the easiest to master. But, who knows what you'll get. Ooh, can we look in the mirror? I want to see how we look!

"Sure." I start to stand up with minimal help from my bedpost. I'm still a little weak from the inheritance. I trudge over to the wall mirror, resting my hands on the side of the wall for support.

When I looked in the mirror, I saw a few changes to my person. I looked like I gained a few more pounds of muscle, and had grown a bit taller as well. My eyes had changed to a more gold color, and I had more elongated canines. My ears and five tails fade from a red to a brown almost the color of my hair, which miraculously didn't change. Overall I looked really dominant.

I now think back to the things Axel told me about. I get his attention again.

-Hey, Axel. What can you tell me about our mate?-

Our mate? Well, obviously they're a submissive. They're the one person that completes us in every way. They can be male or female, and you won't know who they are until you make eye contact. I don't know exactly how the submissive knows they've found their dominant, but that's how we find doms find our sub. Usually you can hint who they are because before one's inheritance, the person will have a special connection with their mate, whether it's positive or negative. I really hope we meet them soon.

-Me too.-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(975 words)