Chapter 25

Disclaimer:

- this - means thoughts

this means other half talking in head

"this" means normal talking

Severus's P.O.V.

It's done.

-Yeah.-

A couple of hours ago, I thought I might never finish. I would never be satisfied; I would keep on working and working until I died. But it's done.

I don't know how I know - but I do. There's just something, an instinct, maybe, that feels... satisfied. Not completely - it won't be perfect, it can't be perfect, the perfect one isn't at Hogwarts - but almost. As close as possible. Enough.

And Salazar, all I want to do - what every single molecule of my body is begging me to do - is to curl up there and stay for as long as life allows. But no. I need to find James. My mate. The nest is for him, after all.

Up to Gryffindor, go, go, go!

I scramble out of the dorm and down the stairs into the common room, practically running in to Lily, who apparently decided to visit.

"Oh, hey Sev, I was- woah, you look unapologetically happy. In public. That must be the first time in... forever. What's going on?"

"I finished." I can't stop smiling.

"Your nest? That's great!"

Great? More than great! The best ever! Now stop talking, find mate, please, Sevy.

"Thanks. I'm going to find James."

"Oh?" she raises an eyebrow, and immediately I know exactly what she's thinking.

"Not-not like that, Lils, I just want to show him- hey, shut up!"

"What? I didn't say anything."

"You don't need to. Stop looking at me like that."

"Oh, come on, Sev, since when have you been shy about stuff like this? I seem to remember last year you begging for every little detail about what happened with-"

"Okay, I'm not talking to you right now! I'm finding my... James."

"Your James?"

"Shut up, you're mean, and I don't like you."

"Whatever you say. Now, go have fun with your James!"

"Not like... don't say it like..."

Sevy, you're wasting time, go find mate!

-Fine, fine.-

"Whatever. Bye Lily!"

I leave, sidestepping past her as she laughs at me. I head out of the common room, not letting anyone else stop me on the way. On my way through the corridors, I notice a couple of people muttering about me, hear my name quietly scowled behind cupped hand. A few trip me up as I walk by, but I just get up and keep going. This is more important.

"Excuse me," I say to the portrait that James calls the Fat Lady. She stops singing and looks down at me, surprised.

"Oh, hello. Have you been standing there long? Did you hear my high note, it was the best today!"

"Um, I'm looking for-" she sighs rather dramatically, cutting me off.

"Potter, yes? Fine, go in." The portrait swings open, but I hesitate. I can go in there with James, sure, because I know he'd never let anything happen to me, but alone... they'd eat me alive.