Chapter 12 part 1

Disclaimer:

- this - means thoughts

this means creature talking in head

"this" means normal talking

James's P.O.V.

I'm sitting in the Great Hall, staring at my full plate of food. I'm completely zoned out, and I can't help but wonder when I'm going to find my mate. It's been too long, what if my mate is hiding from me?

Suddenly, someone places a hand on my shoulder, and I instinctively turn and growl at them, teeth bared, until I see Narcissa standing there, who has practically tried to bury herself in Lucius's chest. Lucius growls back at me for scaring his mate.

"Shit, sorry Narcissa. I'm a little jumpy. You alright?"

"Yeah, s-sorry for not announcing myself. I should have done that." Malfoy caresses her elbow to soothe her, whilst glaring at me. 

"Anyways,", Narcissa continued, "We've just finished eating, so when you're ready we can go see Severus."

I'm confused for a moment, and then I remember. Yesterday they said I could check up on Severus. See if he's okay. I jolt out of my chair.

Malfoy chuckles. "Eager much?"

I growl playfully at him.

We're going to talk to the Veela sub? Now?

-Yep.-

Finally! Hurry, quicker, make sure sub is okay! Go, now, go!

Finally, finally, we arrive at the Slytherin common room entrance. And suddenly, all the scents around me seemed to fade away until I'm focused on one specific scent. I know that scent, I would recognise it anywhere. It's sweet and warm and fresh, and so, so, so submissive. My mate.

Mate, mate, mate, mate, mate, mate. Mate is in here. Go to him. Go, go! Faster!

I practically push Malfoy and Narcissa out of the way, rushing into the common room and scanning it. Several people's heads look up, confused, but I don't care and neither does Axel.

I keep looking around, and feel my heart sink with every passing second I don't find him. Where is my mate?

"What's going on?" It's Malfoy.

"I....I smell...... my mate, he's here, but...... I don't know where." Narcissa and Malfoy are grinning, and I give them a loud growl. "This isn't funny. Where is my mate?"

"James, think about this. Your mate is in Slytherin common room. There are only two submissive inheritances in Slytherin, and one of them is my mate."

"What do you..... Severus?" Oh Merlin. I can't believe it! Severus is my mate. Of course he is, how could I have been so stupid, I feel so protective over him and Axel is obsessed with him, and he's just as submissive as my mate and..... and no wonder he would act like that! Severus thinks that everyone hates him, he's probably terrified I would reject him, whoever I was, let alone me. He probably thinks I hate him!

But it's Severus. Not the Severus I knew, the one that me and my friends picked on, but the Severus that risks his reputation to stand up to his housemates against blood discrimination, the Severus that went up scared and shy to stand as a submissive Veela in front of the school. Severus with his porcelain skin and ebony hair. Severus, who sat at my feet in my dreams, who collapsed in my arms, who smells like home. Severus, my submissive. Severus, my mate.

"You're grinning, Potter. Quite maniacally, I might add."

"Shut up, Malfoy. I have to go to him."

"Wait, James, just.... be careful. You know how he is, he's... terrified."

"Then I'll help him. He's my mate, Narcissa."

"I know, I know, but.... he thinks you're going to reject him." He sees the look on my face. "We know you won't, you would never, but he doesn't know that. And James..... there's a chance he might reject you before you get the chance to do the same to him."

What?

No, no. I need my mate! I-

He can't reject me!

He can't.

He's mine.

Axel is whining in my head, so loud I'm surprised no one else can hear him. I realise the room is completely silent. Everyone is watching us. I can't bring myself to care. Because my mate cannot reject me.

"He.. he wouldn't. He can't."

"There's a chance he won't. But, you have to tread lightly. You can't just go in there and expect everything to be perfect."

"Then what do I do?"

"Just... don't rush in all excited like you want to. Careful, quiet, and calm, okay?"

"Fine, fine, I can do this. He won't reject me he won't." I don't know who I'm trying to convince.

We head up the stairs to the dorms. Almost immediately, chatter begins in the room behind us. I want to turn back and hurt them all, but I keep going. Towards my mate, my Severus, who will not reject me. Whose scent is getting stronger, so strong it's becoming harder to restrain Axel from taking control and marking him here and now.

"You okay?" Malfoy says when we're right outside the door, and it's all I can do not to rip his head off.

"Don't patronize me."

"Sure, sorry." He seems to realize how on edge I am. In the back of my mind, I'm thankful. "We'll be here." In case the worst happens, are the unspoken words. In case you're rejected.

I don't reply. 

I go in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(847 words. credit to @cameronn__'s story "Be My Wings".)