Chapter 8

Disclaimer:

- this - means thoughts

this means creature talking in head

"this" means normal talking

Severus's P.O.V.

I gave mate, dominant, an order. No, no, no.... he can't hate me. He can't hate me because then I'll die. I'll die.

But I don't. I don't because suddenly his arms are around me, and I'm grounded again. I didn't realize that I had sunk to the floor, or that my knees were tucked under my chin, or that my cheeks were wet and throat was sore. I didn't realize my mate was talking to me. And suddenly, the fear comes back, because my mate was speaking and I wasn't listening, but I hear what he is saying and it goes away. 

"Shh, shh, it's okay, you're okay. I'm not mad, I promise, I understand, I've got you, you're okay. You're so good, my mate, my sub, so good. I've got you, you're okay. Everything's alright, mate mine. Everything's alright."

I take a shaky breath, willing myself to calm down, to stop crying. Once my mate ha figured out that I'm calmer, he pulls me into his lap, and I let myself relax against it. I inhale lungfuls of his scent, pushing my nose into his scent gland, nuzzling his neck, as I let him stroke my hair.

"I-I'm sorry."

"Don't be."

"B-but I..." I stop myself, scared that if I remind him what I did he'll realize how bad it really was and get angry.

"It's okay, go ahead."

"I told you w-what to do."

"I know, it's okay. You are allowed to do that as long as you are polite about it."

"Really?"

"Really. You're my sub, not my slave. You get to keep your rights, okay? I'll have some rules, but we'll discuss those when we meet in person." I flinch, and he notices.

"Hey, it's okay. I'll find you soon, I promise."

I give hima nuzzle and a contented twitter. He starts running his fingers through my hair again, and I relax against him subconsciously.

I hope he does find me soon. I want to be with him forever. I want to make him the happiest person alive. I want to be able to make a nest for him and have his chicks and be his forever.

----------------

James's P.O.V.

I love my mate. 

I love him (and I know it's a him because of my mate dream last night) more than I thought was possible at all, let alone at this stage. I haven't met him or marked him or seen his face or heard his voice. Merlin, I don't even know his name. But I already know that my sub is my whole world.

He's just so good. When he thought he did something wrong in the mate dream; told me to do something I don't even remember now; he completely broke down. He wants to please me so much. He wants to be good for me, my good sub, my mate. 

I love him. I love him so much I could just scream.I wish I could stay in this dream forever, stay with him forever, but eventually, we have to wake up. 

When I do wake up, it's to my whole body aching. I must have slept weird or something....

No, you just need your mate, stupid.

-Wow, thanks Axel. But, you're right, I do need my mate. I didn't realize it would become so painful so quickly. The aching isn't much, though, it's a little more than bearable.-

Yeah, well, the more you care for your mate, the more pain you'll be in when you're without them. And considering you just went full on ranting about how much you love them, it's bound to hurt more than it should.

-Okay, okay, I get it. Why do you sound... irritable? You feel a little annoyed, too. What's going on?-

Sorry. I just feel kind of jealous. I can't meet our mate's creature, even if they have one, until you have a couple more mate dreams, and I'm so tired of waiting.

-I'm tired of waiting too , Axel. I get it. You have every right to be annoyed.-

I lie in bed for a while, just basking in the aftermath of the dream, hoping the ache will fade. It doesn't; if anything, it aches worse the more I think about him.

I meet up with Sirius and Remus, or should I say a blushing Sirius and a smirking Remus. We just walk about the castle in mostly silence, because Remus decides that he just wants to talk dirty with Sirius right in front of me. 

"Hey, shouldn't we go see McGonagall now?", Sirius asks abruptly. We all stop and groan. I had forgotten about that. The three of us turn around and start making our way towards the Transfiguration classroom. 

"Ah, boys, nice of you three to join us", McGonagall says when we enter. Turns out we were the last ones to enter the room, minus Snape, I saw.

The last open seats were the three in the back of the room, and one at the very front of the room. I sit next to the boys at the back of the room.

Snape comes running in a minute later and sits in the only empty seat at the front of the room. He sits next to another dominant from Hufflepuff whose name I don't know. I see him bow his head in respect. 

"How nice of you to join us, Mr. Snape", says Professor McGonagall. He shoots a small smile at her as he sits. "Well then, assuming everyone is here, let's talk.

"As creatures, the rules here will be slightly different for you this year. Firstly, as some of you already know, the Forbidden Forest is no longer  'forbidden', but I will, however, advise you to enter with caution. Don't go believing that your inheritances make you invincible, because they don't.

"There will also be no curfew, as I know many of you would like to utilize the hours while other students are asleep. You are permitted to do so, so long as you are not a disturbance or abuse this privilege.

"Thirdly, your sleeping arrangements are flexible. If your inheritance clashes with anybody in your dorm, you are permitted to leave, and if any of you happen to find your mate this year, you are permitted to join them." At this, she eyed Remus and Sirius.

"Lastly, of course, any school rules that contradict your specific creature's beliefs and laws do not apply. For example, many creatures permit extreme violence if defending your mate, and so the school rule against violence will be temporarily lifted in this case. I would, however, discourage the use of violence, and instead would suggest you come to me if any of your classmates.... offend you in any way, and allow me to handle them appropriately.

Thank you for coming to see me. You are dismissed. Feel free to come to me if you find yourselves needing anything."

She nods to the group, and we take that as our cue to leave. Everyone disperses to go to their dorms for curfew. I see Sirius and Remus sneak up to bed, and I start heading there too. Besides, I have another mate dream to look forward to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(1182 words. credit to @cameronn__ and their story "Be My Wings" for inspiration.)