Chapter 5

Disclaimer:

- this - means thoughts

this means creature talking in head

"this" means normal talking

Severus's P.O.V.

McGonagall has all the fifth years stay behind after dinner. I'm a little anxious as to what she has to say.

What's happening? Did we do something wrong?

-I don't know, Nat. But I would guess not because it's only our second day back.-

After everyone but the fifth years had filtered out of the Great Hall, Professor McGonagall resumes her spot at the podium. 

"As all of you probably know, this is a very pivotal time in your lives. As many of you know, with your birthdays, there is the possibility of gaining a creature inheritance. It is required for all fifth years to take a course specifically designed to teach you everything there is to know about creature inheritances. The course is dedicated to teach you what to expect should you receive an inheritance and how to act around your classmates who may if you don't.

"As many of you have already gone through your inheritances, it has become crucial to teach you what you need to know as quickly and efficiently as possible. Which is why, tonight, until curfew, you will be receiving this course. To give this course, are specialists Dr. Li and Dr. Turner."

I feel Nat relax more and more as her speech goes on. It is very important for everyone else to be able to recognize what is happening to their classmates. And of course, it would be helpful for students who aren't pureblood to be able to know what is happening around them.

The seminar starts out with an explanation of the different possible inheritances one can receive, and an explanation of what each creature is. It becomes evident quite quickly that the specialists intend to use those of us that have already gotten our inheritances as examples, something Nat is already uncomfortable about, and something that Lucius is angry about. 

They start off by going through the rarer inheritances, like the drachael and shiwana, which nobody received. Eventually, they made their way to the more common ones, and start going into more detail, even asking people to come to the front and demonstrate.

"Some inheritances may have different types, and a good example would be elves. There is a type of elf for each element, although fire, water, and nature elves are the most common. Are there any elves in the room?" A few students stand up: a female nature elf from Ravenclaw, a male fire elf from Hufflepuff, I think his name is Ted Tonks, and a male water elf from Gryffindor. The fire elf is a dominant, I realize, and I avoid eye contact as a form of respect.

"Please make your way to the front." They do so, and the specialists look pleased. "Excellent, excellent, thank you. Now, if I am correct, we have a submissive nature elf, a dominant fire elf, and a submissive water elf. You can see the similarities in them, with bone structure, pointed ears and hair structure, however there are clear differences, some due to the fact that there are different kinds and some due to the fact that one is a dominant and the others are submissive. We'll be talking about dominance and submission later on."

I ended up zoning out until I heard the speaker mentioned Veelas. 

"Now, moving on to Veelas. Many of you think you know a lot about Veelas, when in hindsight, you do not. And the information you do know is probably incorrect. There are actually three mainstream types of Veelas. Do we have any in the room?" I see Lucius and Narcissa stand, and I begrudgingly do as well. Me and Nat feel very uncomfortable doing so. Everyone has their eyes on me, and I can feel Nat withering. I walk to the front of the room, hand in hand with Narcissa.

"Wonderful! And what are your names?"

Lucius answered for us. "Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa Black, and Severus Snape."

"Wonderful! And as I said, there are three species of Veela: seduciant, which are the most common; oiseau; and lastly, as these three are, alliage, or more commonly known as the Royal Veela." He went on to explain what each were and the distinguishable features.

"Now while you three are up here, we should discuss mates. Many creatures have mates, the most common exceptions being Nekos and vampires. However, almost all creatures are either dominant or submissive. Some species have a different name for this, like alpha and omega, but the overall concept remains the same. It is very important to be aware of the differences between the two, as they will behave differently and expect different behavior from you."

She went on to explain further the differences between a dom and a sub, including how they act and what they expect from those around them. 

"Now," the man continues, "it is fairly easy to distinguish the differences between dominants and submissives, in their appearance but also in simple things like their stances.

"Take the Veela's wings, for example." The speaker has each of us unfurl our wings, which gives us in turn a bunch of shocked gasps from the rest of the students. Lucius and Narcissa both have milky white wings, only Narcissa's are a shade lighter than Lucius's. My wings, however, were a very distinct shade of black. Ebony, to be exact. "Just by looking at the difference in wingspan, you can tell that Lucius here is a dominant while Narcissa and Severus are submissives. However, I have to be quite honest, I've never seen a Veela with such a color as Severus's."

I blush at being called out as a submissive, keeping my head bowed as Lucius answers that I identify as a Dark Veela. "A Dark Veela? Those are very rare, indeed. Well, it is my pleasure to be able to meet such a fine specimen." I look up at the speaker bashfully and give a small smile, blushing even more if that was possible, and I felt Nat preen at being praised.

After a while, we are able to sit back down. The speakers continue the seminar, but I drone the rest of it out. Because now I can feel every pair of eyes on me, and the word 'sub' keeps echoing in my head. Everyone knows now, and I've got hell to pay for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(1,061 words. credit for inspiration goes to @cameronn__'s story "Be My Wings".