Chapter 12: Prom Night

SONYA's POV

Finishing my last year in school couldn't have been worse! I found out I'm not second in class, but I'm number 7. How did I slip so far? I hadn't told my parents yet because I couldn't deal with their looks of disappointment. Just as I felt my panic attack rise, my phone rang.

"Hey, girl hey!" Raquel shouted through the phone. "What's got you so excited?" I giggled. "Tonight I'll be crying out Kyle's name!" Raquel squealed. "What? How? Is he not taking Maddie to prom?" I asked incredulously. "He is starting his night with that bimbo and ending it with me per our usual routine" she replied nonchalantly. "That girl is going to skin you alive if she finds out" I laughed. "Oh please! She's obvious! That skank is blindly in love with Kyle she can't see past his bullshit" she scoffed making a valid point. "Well, you know she is crazy. Just be careful" I warned hoping she would actually consider my advice. "Would you look at the time? Gotta go!" she replied through the phone trying to ignore my piece of advice.

"Sonya! Your date is late!" my overly strict mother shouted. "I know, mom" I replied scurrying to finished getting dressed. "Don't get snappy with me! It's not my fault you chose a fool to take you to senior prom" she scoffed.

I know she had a point, but it was a last-minute decision. I had hope that my ex-boyfriend, Leon would ask me. I was sure he caught my hints, but I heard Maddie Booker may have convinced him to change his mind. That little slut would answer to me sooner than later.

"He's here!" my mother yelled in disgust. "Coming!" I shouted as I made my way to the front door.

My wine-colored princess dress flowed past my feet. It was a halter top that hugged my waist with a bejeweled waistline. I let my brownish-gold curls fall freely past my shoulders. The bejeweled headband matched my dress belt. I truly felt like a princess. Too bad my date had already made a bad impression. "Stupid jock," I thought inwardly. Good looks and generous personality is all my date, Brock has going for him. He is literally in the bottom five of our class.

"You ready princess?" Brock smiled. "Yeah, almost. I forgot my earrings" I said blushing before turning to walk away. "Don't worry sweetheart, we will keep this handsome young man company.

I grabbed my earrings in record time. I caught another glance at myself before I left. I reapplied my soft rose lip gloss before sprinting down the hall. What I didn't expect is for my parents to be enjoying Brock's company.

"I'm ready!" I announced and drug him out of my home only to be stopped in my tracks by my mother. "SONYA! Did you forget to tell us that you're not the Salutatorian?" my mother charged out after me.

Nervousness rushed over me. How did she find out? I was going to tell her the truth after this weekend.

"Out of all people you allowed that GHETTO RAT and her ninja turtle looking friend to outdo you?" my mother shouted angrily. "I was going to tell you. I swear! Right now is not a good time" I said hoping she could see how uncomfortable I am in front of Brock. "Why should I care? I gave up so much for you and this is how you repay me. It's that slut friend of yours Raquel isn't it?" She asked surprising me.

That's not even the worst part. Tape up and the rest of the prom party had just hopped out of the stretch Hummer to take prom photos. I don't know why they came to my home after we agreed to meet in the parking lot up the street.

"Excuse me?" Raquel asked with tears in her eyes as she glared at my mom. "Let's go" I simply said pulling her arm. "You're not going anywhere young lady!" my mother said charging begin me. "Mom! Please! STOP! You're embarrassing me. I feel bad enough! I don't need you rubbing salt in the wound" I snapped just as my father ran out to find out what was going on. "What the hell Helena?" my father asked with a confused look. "She's embarrassing me, dad!" I yelled sounding like a child. "Ask your daughter why she didn't..." my mom started to say as I signaled Brock to drive off and I climbed in the Houma.