Chapter 19: Checkmate!

KYLE's POV

Rick's driveway had so many cars in it that I dang near had to park around the corner. I spotted Noah's car here. I knew I was probably going to get an ear full since my Uncle Martin called him. Apparently, my Uncle Martin is pissed because Noah has been ignoring his calls since their initial conversation. I told him not to feel bad since Noah is basically shutting us all out because of Jakoby.

Rick opened the door after my third knock. He was carrying a bowl of chips in one hand and a beer in the other. I could already tell that he was drunk to the high heavens, but trying to hold it together.

"Welcome t the party, man. How long has it been?" he asked bumping elbows with me. "Too long" I replied. "Check this out. The beers are in the cooler and the food Ashley set up is over there on the table" he said gesturing toward a table that had all sorts of appetizers laid out.

My attention was captured the moment I heard screaming coming from the living room.

"Man damn! Did the game start already?" I asked a little agitated. "Yeah, man. You're late. They're still in the first quarter though" Rick replied taking a sip of his beer. "I thought it started at 8," I said confused. "No man, it started at 7" he replied slapping me across the back.

I was hungry, thirsty, and pissed off that I nearly missed the entire first quarter. I made my way back to the snack table. I did take note that Noah was ignoring my entrance and my exit. I missed my best friend, but he betrayed me by sleeping with my ex. He broke the guy code in my eyes. Speaking of Noah, I wonder how he's sitting in the living room of his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. It must be awkward.

"Hey, Kyle!" Ashley squealed roping her arms around my neck. "Hey" I dryly replied. "Oh wow! Who pissed in your cheerios mister?" she asked with an attitude. "Sorry, it's not you. I'm just pissed I missed so much of the game" I replied. "Yeah, we were looking for you. Where the hell was you anyway?" she asked fixing me a plate of food. "Nowhere significant" I replied trying to blow off the subject. "Okay, well, do try to enjoy yourself," she said giving me a wave. "Hey, how are you fairing with Noah here? Is it awkward?" I asked genuinely curious. "Um, maybe" she chuckled. "Well, hang in there Ash," I said heading back in the tv room with the rest of the guys.

I wasn't about to disclose to Ashley that I hung out with Raquel until Maddie got ready for the Gala. I showed my face there and danced with Maddie and left. I was expecting to get an ear full since I wasn't answering my phone but surprisingly enough she didn't say a thing. It looked like her mind was somewhere else. I was so thankful for that too.

ASHLEY's POV

In the middle of refilling the chips, I saw Noah walking toward the snack table I was manning.

"Um, hey Ash.  Can I get some of those chips and cheese dip, please?" Noah asked barely making eye contact with me. "Hey and of course" I replied piling on the chips. "Thank you" he basically weird still not making eye contact. "Hey! Let's not make this weird. We are friends right?" I asked trying to spark a conversation. "Yeah, I would like it to not be awkward" he chuckled. "So, why does it have to be? We are both adults. How have you been?" I asked with a huge grin. "I've been great! You?" he asked. "Really good, but I would be better if I had my friend back" I pouted. "It's complicated" he replied. "How so? Does Jakoby not want us to be friends?" I asked with a confused look on my face. "Ash, she has a restraining order on you. I don't blame her either. You did threaten her one too many times" he said furrowing an eyebrow. "That was back then. I've grown and moved on. I'm with Rick now" I boldly said seeing a hint of jealously peak from Noah."Good for you. I'm happy you found somebody that will treat you right" she half-smiled. "Are you?" I asked pushing my luck. "Why wouldn't I want you happy? I am" he said making my heartache. "Oh, thank you," I said walking toward the bathroom so I wouldn't let him see how much his statement affected me.