Chapter 25: Stay Away from Me

JACQUELINE's POV

I decided to ignore both Martin and Kaitlyn's coffee invitations. I just wasn't in the mood to hear more lies 17 years later. It would be easier if they would stay away from me! I shook off the thought of even considering to meet any of them for coffee when Mr. Washington approached my desk.

"Ms. Monroe, can you file this with the Brown and Willis' cases from last week?" Mr. Washington asked. "Absolutely sir. Would you like me to remove the Armstrong case files for your meeting tomorrow as well?" I asked while organizing the files on my desk. "Yes, that would help tremendously. Thank you" he said turning to greet his girlfriend that just walked into his office. "No problem, Mr. Washington," I said as he continued to walk away.

He's been in charge this week with my boss, Mr. O'Donnell out on vacation; one he rarely takes.

"Did you see his ass?" Katherine walked over and asked. "Oh goodness! Horny much?" I rhetorically asked. "I'd take a piece of him with a side of biscuits any day" she retorted. "Is she daydreaming about Mr. Sexy Joel again?" Veronica asked. "You know she is" I replied rolling my eyes. "I don't know why she wastes her time when Mr. Sexy Pants clearly has eyes for Jacq" Marie interjected. "No, he does not! No offense" Kat said lifting her hands. "None took" I scoffed. "I didn't mean it like that. What I meant is you wouldn't give him the time of day" she said shrugging her shoulders. "I'm not a complete prude. The right guy just hasn't approached me. Besides, I'm more so focused on repairing my relationship with my daughter. She's coming home for the holidays and I've asked her to have dinner with me" I said changing the subject. "Well, I think Little Koby is getting more than her momma. Loosen up a bit" Veronica joked. "Haven't I been faithful to our Thursday night rendezvous? I've loosened up quite a bit" I said laughing. "You have just not in the right places," Marie said slapping my ass. "I take care of myself just fine," I said playfully pursing my lips. "Nothing is wrong if you want Mr. Joel to help you loosen up a bit more" Kat teased. "He has a girlfriend who looks like a supermodel. How the hell do I compete with that? Not to mention, I'm not interested in dating my boss" I said rolling my eyes. "Well, if you won't give it a go I sure as hell plan on it," Veronica said throwing out her hip.

I laughed at their theatrics until they left. They didn't bother to stick around long after that. They knew I would be there long after my core hours.

"You're here late again?" Mr. Washington asked. "Yes, sir I am just about every night" I replied. "Why?" He asked leaning on my desk. "I have nothing to run home to but unopened boxes that still need unpacking Mr. Washington" I chuckled walking away to file some papers. "Please, call me Joel," he said grabbing two coffees. "You don't have to fix my coffee sir, I mean Joel. I am leaving soon anyway" I said starting to gather my things. "Sorry, you just look stressed and I for one know I am" he smirked. "I promised the girls I would meet them tonight. I can't be late or they will swear I flaked on them. No plans with your girlfriend?" I asked. "Colleen?" He asked choking on his coffee. "Is that her name?" I asked with a smirk. "She is not my girlfriend but she definitely stops by to ensure I never get one" he laughed. "Oh, I'm sorry" I smiled. "No worries, Ms. Monroe. Enjoy your ladies' night out" Joel said turning to head back to his office. "Jacqueline but my friends call me Jacq," I said waving goodbye to him.

I had those same butterflies in my stomach that I had when he started working here 6 months ago.

Before I got too wrapped up in my own lust, I received an unexpected text from Koby.

"Hey, mom. I'm at your front door. Kiki knew wheeze you lived" Koby texted.

"Koby! I'm so glad you made it"