Chapter 7: Telling the Truth

JACQUELINE's POV

I received a disturbing text from Jakoby earlier. She said her day had been unpredictably terrible. I told her I would call her on my break, but she didn't answer. Instead, she texted that she would be with Kiki and Ramona. I knew those girls despised me, but they adored Koby so I was okay with that.

Everything was starting to fall in place for us. My brother was finally getting the help he needed and Jakoby and I were at least on speaking terms again. I love my daughter, I really do. I would be lying if I said that she wasn't a constant reminder of the night I was not just raped, but brutally raped by three people I thought I could trust.

I may have told Jakoby a fabricated story of what happened. She doesn't know that this is where my family is originally from and her Uncle Eddie was arrested after nearly killing one of my assailants until now.

He destroyed the car of one and bust the head of one of the others, which was another strike on him. The two bastards that raped me definitely got it the worse.

He and his friend are related to some powerful people. We went to the police, but because they have people in their pocket, justice was never truly served. I got kicked out and labeled as a whore. Just freaking fantastic!

Yes, I had two assailants, but the other witnessed it and did nothing. Eddie was a good kid, but he did not play when it came to his family. My family ties crumbled after that though. My assailants got 6 months in jail and probation while Eddie got 10 years. Our justice system is shitty!

Eddie became a drunk after getting out of prison because no one wanted to hire a felon. His drunkenness ended up rolling over into gambling. It's the reason I try so hard to help him.

I know I should be truthful with Koby. She would probably be more understanding. I'm trying to be a better mother to her than the example I had. I got pregnant at no fault of my own. They were my friends who swore to never hurt me. Guess I was wrong...

I was snapped back to reality by my boss calling my name repetitively.

"Jacq, can you hold my 2:30 and cancel my 4 o'clock?" Mr. O'Donnell asked. "Absolutely sir" I replied turning to face my computer screen.

After readjusting his calendar, I started printing out booklets for tomorrow's meeting before my office friend, Katherine strolled over.

"So, how did the talk with Jakoby go?" she asked eager to listen. "It was better than expected. I guess I should have been more honest with her from the beginning. I just want the best of her. I don't want her young and pregnant. I want her to chase those wild dreams of hers and get away from this place" I said standing up the walk toward the copier partially lying. "Koby is a good kid. I'm sure she's worked her ass off to gain your acceptance. I'm just glad it's not too late to mend you two's relationship" Katherine said with a smile. "Me too. Me too" I sighed knowing she was right.

Truth is, Koby didn't answer the phone and that deep conversation should transpire in person when the time was right.

Right as the end of my shift ended I started to clean my desk free of today's work. My shift actually ended three hours ago, but I hated leaving my boss here alone. Besides, Jakoby was going to the Booker's Christmas party. The thought alone made me cringe. Or maybe it was the fact that a tall figure was now towering over me. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest after laying eyes on none other than one of my assailants.

I felt bile rise in my throat. My palms were starting to sweat as the rest of my body started to tremble. All those vague memories from that night came rushing back to me in one harsh swoop. I haven't laid eyes on this man in over 15 years and I preferred it that way. I couldn't keep cowering at the sound or thought of him.