Chapter 27: Lost Souls

Three months later...

JACQUELINE's POV

"Congratulations, Jacqueline" Joel said walking away from my desk. "Girl! I told you he's got eyes for you" Marie said giggling. "It's hard to tell with all the women AND men swooning over him," I said rolling my eyes. "He's been here almost a year and you haven't even tried to talk to him" Marie pouted. "I'm not a groupie and he's the boss! Mr. O'Donnell does not play that shit. We all know it" I sternly said. "Good point! You do need to lighten up and have some fun though. Congratulations again chica!" Marie said walking toward the elevator.

Marie actually worked on the floor above us when she wasn't on-site at one of the hotels this company-owned. She's the Assistant Marketing Director for a string of hotels all owned by the Grey family. She's hoping to get me up there once I finish my master's degree. I'm actually majoring in Public Relations so it aligns I guess.

"Congratulations sweetheart!" Veronica loudly said jumping off the elevator from lunch. "Thanks V. You couldn't wait on me for lunch?" I asked cocking an eyebrow. "If you must know, I had a lunch date," Veronica said leaning over my desk with a goofy smirk on her face. "Oh! Who's the lucky victim?" I asked jokingly. "You would totally like him for me. As it turns out, he has a brother" she said with a. Guilty expression. "You didn't!" I exclaimed already knowing what she was up to. "I sort of volunteered you for a date" she confessed. "V! Why would you do that?" I asked through a whisper after seeing Joel furrow an eyebrow at us. "Come on! He's super cute and nice! His brother is probably quite the charmer too" she said with a smile. "Call it off!" I demanded as soon as Joel was out of earshot. "I see you have eyes for someone else" Veronica hinted darting her eyes at Joel. "NO! He actually has a serious girlfriend, Colleen" I confidently said. "So, that's why he must have turned Kat down" Veronica frowned. "Turned her down?" I asked clearly missing the memo that Katherine asked Joel out. "Oops! She didn't want me to say anything. I think she was sort of embarrassed by it. It almost never happens" Veronica said with her voice dripping in sarcasm. "You are the worse!" I called out as she waved goodbye to me.

Women are the absolute worse in office settings. The gossip is never-ending. I'm glad they didn't know anything but what I shared with them. I didn't trust that these cackling hens would put me on blast.

"Hot date?" Joel asked startling me. "You heard that?" I asked embarrassed. "Yeah, so are you going?" He asked. "Maybe if I could get off early enough to make it" I laughed. "Check this out. Since you've been a great PA, I'll release you early on behalf of the boss" Joel said arching an eyebrow at me.

I swear he gives me Regé-Jean Page from Bridgerton vibes. I swear I must have binged on that Netflix show. I'm definitely crushing on Joel right now probably for that reason. I crept back to reality when Joel started talking again.

"You did just receive a promotion from Mr. O'Donnell. I'm sure he wouldn't want you to celebrate in the office. You should take off early" he added. "I can't. I have so much to do to prepare for the meeting tomorrow" I said biting my bottom lip. "It's okay to have a life outside of the office" he smiled. "I know but..." I started to say before he cut me off. "No buts! People only say but when they want it their way. Anywho, you guys should try out this steakhouse over on 44th Street. Colleen says their wine is to die for" Joel added flashing his custom smirk he sports when he's amused. "Thanks," I said gathering my things to leave after he mentioned his girlfriends' name.

For a second I thought he was hitting on me. Well, that was internally embarrassing.

Looks like our usual ladies' night has now been combined with double dates thanks to Veronica's hot ass. This should be interesting. I rolled my eyes at the thought. I always hated Veronica's matchmaking attempts. She just couldn't pick for me or herself for that matter. Her last boyfriend was a violent train wreck that also with her sister. Men, UGH!