Chapter 35: DNA Doesn't Lie

JACQUELINE's POV

After watching my daughter get married I knew there was something I needed to do.

"Hello beautiful, how are you today?" Joel asked entering the office space. "Hey! I'm doing well but I could use some advice" I admitted only loud enough for him to hear it even though no one was here yet. "Follow me to my office" he replied. "Why are you here at 6 in the morning?" I asked curiously. "I'm meeting with some colleagues during lunch but I'm sure it's going to be an extended lunch. I wanted to get ahead on the Wolf case" Joel responded logging into his computer. "That makes sense," I said sitting down across from him. "What's going on in that pretty little head of yours? Wait, why are you here so early?" He asked. "Wolf case too. It's such a big deal
Around here that I waited to ensure I understood what was at stake. Plus, I have plans tonight" I admitted. "Oh, a hot date?" He asked with a hint of jealously. "I wouldn't call it that. Enough about my invisible maybe date. I wanted to see what you thought about me asking Martin to take a DNA test. Jakoby should know which jerk is her sperm donor" I finally said. "Why now?" He asked raising an eyebrow. "I don't want her to feel empty when the asshole is literally right down the street from her whoever he may be. It could be either one of them" I sighed. "Well, DNA doesn't lie. I think that is a noble thing to do. Your daughter does deserve the truth" he said staring at me. "Thank you. I guess I need to finally accept his coffee invitation" I chuckled nervously. "Guess I'll see you later" Joel awkwardly said. "Are you okay? Did I offend you? I know you hate the jerk but he and his dumbass brother raped me. I wasn't sexually active back then so it has to be one of them" I sighed. "It's not that, Jacq. Have a lovely day" he said with a smile. "O-okay," I said backing out of his office.

The rest of the day drug on. I actually finished work early but I decided to stay until Mr. O'Donell got out of his last meeting of the day. Joel was pacing behind him when it finally concluded. He passed my desk without a wink, smart remark, or so much of a glance. What's crawled up his butt?

Instead of chasing him down for an answer I grabbed my things and bid farewell to my boss. I had plans to binge Netflix and be lazy all night. I promised myself that I would be skipping ladies' night since I was in no mood to see Veronica after what I had learned she used to say about me behind my back.

"Are you heading out too?" Marie asked with an exhausted tone. "I am. It's been a long week" I sighed walking with her toward the elevator. "For is all" Marie agreed. "I'm sorry but I'm skipping our ladies' night out. Netflix and a bucket of ice cream have been calling to name all well" I giggled. "After everything that happened, I assumed that ritual was no more" Marie replied. "For me it is. I don't do drama" I confessed. "You know I don't either. I don't trust V and Kat seems to have crawled in a hole. It's just me and you now. You want to do brunch Sunday?" Marie asked. "That sounds splendid only if you promise there will be mimosas" I laughed. "There will always be mimosas for me. I'll text Kat to see if she's ready to shake off her funk" Marie called out as she exited the building.

I smiled and waved goodbye. My phone had nearly fallen out of my pocket when I remembered that I needed to contact Martin.

"Can we meet for coffee in a few?"

"Sounds great. I was actually just leaving work" Martin texted.

"Cassie's Coffee Corner?"

"That works. They have the best beignets" Martin texted.

"See you in a bit. It's just business"

"Of course it is. Be there in 5" Martin texted.

I looked up from my screen when my palms start sweating. It was hard enough to see my rapist once a month but to now meet up with him opened up a whole other flood of emotions.