Chapter 18: Watch Your Back

MADDIE's POV

"Can we just skip this dry Gala?" I whined. "No honey, it's tradition. Our family has hosted this charity event for years and I don't plan on letting you skip it. Now, I expect my dutiful daughter to be there" my mother said fixing the strap on my powder blue ball gown. "Yes ma'am!" I sarcastically replied rolling my eyes. "One of these days you're going to thank me for teaching you about charitable things," my mother said sashaying around my room. "I'm sure," I said rolling my eyes. "I swear between you and your brothers I don't know who's worse. If you are to inherit the family business it is important that you are known throughout. Our loyal business partners don't trust those they do not see. Your brother, Neal was known by these same people for over 15 years before he took over our branch in New York. In fact, he's managed to bring on twice the clientele since he's taken over. I want that for you and Noah as well" my mother proudly stated. "I was born for business. Even your current clients love me. I think you should be having this talk with Noah. He's the one that doesn't like to hang around" I replied shrugging my shoulders. "See you in 10," my mother said pivoting on her heel to leave.

I know I struck a nerve but I didn't give it much thought. I wasn't big on attending this Gala's every year. Usually, Jakoby and I poke fun of people's overly lavish dresses. This would be the first time in almost 7 years Koby won't be by my side. At least I would get to see her.

"Noah, what time are you coming to the Gala?" I asked through the phone. "I'm not coming" he simply replied. "How did you manage to get out of it?" I asked. "What do you want Maddie?" he snapped. "I'm your sister! You could never be rid of me. Anyway, I hope you and Ashley have fun tonight" I said giggling through the phone causing Noah to hang up in my face.

I knew it was a gamble to say that, but I couldn't help myself. It was even more hilarious seeing that Ashley was now calling me.

"Hey, girl, hey!" I shouted through the phone. "Hey, sister-in-law!" she squealed. "I'm so glad you'll get to rekindle with Noah tonight" I cried through the phone. "I have to get rid of Rick's ass first" she replied. "How's that going? What are you going to do if Noah decides to take you back?" I asked. "I'm definitely dumping Rick on the spot! He's just a pass time anyway" she replied all too quickly. "As long as we are on the same page," I said as a warning. "You know me, Maddie. I only truly have eyes for Noah. Think about it, we've barely been apart since 8th grade" she added. "Okay, so text me as soon as you're done fooling around," I said jokingly. "Who knows, maybe a baby Booker made tonight" she hinted before hanging up.

I had already decided on my outfit for the party tonight. My silk white tank top would look great with my floral print high waisted skirt. I have the perfect three-inch heels that are going to set the entire ensemble off.  Kyle was supposed to be going over to Rick's house. I'm hoping he and Noah would patch up their friendship as well as Ashley getting her guy back. The possibilities are endless I thought to myself.

Instead of going solo, I invited Marilyn to tag along with me. She was my friend from the volleyball team. She was cool, but she wasn't Koby. The reason she barely came around is that she and Koby sort of had a fight on the bus on one of our school field trips in 8th grade. There was no teacher present to discipline and none of us were going to talk. When the chaperone finally got on the bus, we all pretended that nothing ever happened. That was the first time I saw Jakoby get pissed off at a bully that made her pass the first punch. We ended up having to pull her off of poor Marilyn.

Anywho, after the Charity Graduation Gala, I am going to rush home to change before Marilyn picks me up for Brock's party. Nothing is going to steal my high away from me tonight. Not even the fact that I haven't been able to contact Kyle all afternoon.

JAKOBY's POV

Noah and I  spent a moment together before he left to head to Rick's game party. Kiki and I decided to go find an outfit tonight while Ramona enjoyed the Gala with Leon.