Chapter 15: Where the Hell is Eddie?

JACQUELINE's POV

When I finally collected my sanity I was still on a high from my rage. The police showed up with an ambulance and firetruck. I watched as the paramedics carried Smoke's body away while providing care to that fucking rapist. Jakoby was busily giving her statement to the two detectives that gently interrogated her while Kiki and Ramona brushed her shoulders. Noah stood close by, careful not to frighten her with a man's touch.

I developed sudden respect for the young man who stood proud with a busted lip and a gash over his eye undoubtedly inherited from his tussle with Smoke. Maybe Noah really did truly love her.

I couldn't believe I had ever exposed my daughter to that asshole. If I never made her come with me to drag my brother, Eddie out of shitholes, she would have never laid eyes on that creep. The thought of the same thing happening to my daughter made me sick to my stomach and it was all my fault. I wasn't only angry at myself, I was mad at Eddie. When the authorities finally cleared from the room, I rushed to my daughter's side and cradled her like a newborn.

"I'm so sorry! This is all my fault! I should have protected you! I'm so sorry Koby" I sobbed loudly. "It's okay. It's not your fault" Koby weakly said. "It is! No one should be exposed to this. Not now, not EVER!" I yelled. "Calm down, mom. I'm okay. He didn't rape me. The stupid son of bitch couldn't even figure out my zipper" she joked as she wiped away her tears. "Why was he here? Was he looking for your uncle? Did he say ANYTHING?" I asked. "He said he was here to collect a debt Uncle Eddie owed, but I know that he's been working every night to pay them back. I'm so confused. Maybe he's been lying about actually going to work at night. Maybe he's gambling behind our backs again. Where the hell is Eddie? I'm going to fucking kill him!" I shouted right as I bolted for the door.

UNCLE EDDIE's POV

"Eddie, you finished with that Tacoma yet?" my garage boss, Carlos called out. "Yep! Brakes, rotor replacements, alignment all complete. I'm getting ready to clock out if you don't mind. I wanted to buy my sister and my niece dinner. Today marks 30 days since I've had a drink. I haven't gambled in just as long" I bragged. "That's good man. The first 30 days are hard, but you did it. I remember the struggle. I never thought I could do it, but 17 years later here I am. I own my own garage and I have a beautiful family" Carlos said with a grin. "How?" I asked. "It wasn't easy, but I had a strong support system outside of the streets and one day at a time" he added. "Yeah, I'm in pretty deep with some bad people. My nighttime employer says if I do these runs for him until the end of the year, he will erase my debt. I thought it was too good to be true until I realized what I had to do. I want to kill myself for what I'm' helping this bastard do. You know how Giovanni is. You used to work for him all those years ago" I said rubbing my palm down my face. "Hang in there. I still have nightmares about it too. He will keep his word until he needs another favor, but at least it's not full time. "If you knew I came with all this baggage, why did you hire me?" I asked quizzically. "Because you've always been a hard worker and I know why you went to jail. It was an honorable thing you did for your sister man. It may not mean much, but the whole neighborhood believed both of you. Those fucking rapists got off easy because of privilege if I'm being honest. Money can buy a lot of things. I can say that one of them is my cousin. I never say anything to him at our family gatherings. "Alright man, I'll see you tomorrow if I don't get killed" I replied waving goodbye.

I will work this gig until my skin falls off if I have to. I've been so awful these past years. I've been so angry at the two people that have helped me most, Jacq and Koby. I swear I'm going to help get them out of the ghetto and help Koby through school. I'm going to try every day to make things right. It is the least I can do. I made it to my little Toyota Tercel just in time to see my sister, Jacqueline coming toward me with her baseball bat she named Rookie. She looked like a deranged madwoman, especially when she swung and connected with my shoulder making me yelp in pain.