A familiar face

R.T

Oversleeping and running late is becoming normal for me. I'm twenty. I've been in college for two years and I can't get my shit together. Alarm clocks don't work as I usually just hit the snooze button and head back to sleep. My parents nag me everyday over the phone to get my act together because they pay for my tuition and "we aren't paying you to sleep all day, Richard!" It's like, I know that dad, trust me.

The college I'm at hosts many different subjects and many parties. So I'm either late or hung over to my lessons. I'm taking an acting course even if I don't really want to be an actor. I want to be a comedian.

I roll out of bed, almost hitting my head on the floor with a loud smack. Then I put my glasses on before throwing on a Hawaiian shirt and some jeans. It's mid September so it's kind of warm, kind of not. So I dressed that way. I do my teeth and then grab my bag before rushing out of my dorm room.

I'm a messy person so I have a dorm to myself. I didn't want to be burden for anyone else. I'm quite a loud person too and I don't want to annoy anyone. It gets a little lonely but I also like to keep to myself in way.

Despite being late, I need coffee. The coffee shop on campus is really cool and I love it in there. The tables are all different and so are all the chairs. Theirs bookshelves for studying with and it just has a comforting feel to it. It's not too busy when I enter, considering everyone else is already in class.

"Hold the door!" I hear someone say in a rush so I hold the door for them and we walk in together." Thank you. I am running so late. I overslept."

"Nice to see someone else has my time management skills." I laugh and I look at him. He's about the same age as me. He's short, with brown hair neatly side parted and big brown eyes. Permanent puppy dog eyes. I oddly recognise him. He's wearing a suit and carrying a brief case. I'm guessing he's a law student or something.

"I'm not usually late." He grumbles out as we stand in the very short line." But my alarm clock broke so here we are."

"I'm just lazy." I respond and he chuckles a little but doesn't seem to relax. He really reminds me of someone. I don't know who but I feel like when I was a kid, I knew someone just like him. Short, with brown hair neatly side parted, had permanent puppy dog eyes as never seemed to relax. Only when he was around me." So, what do you study?"

"Finance." He replies as we move forward in line. Okay, so he's smart. I mean, I was a straight A student back in Highschool, so I'm smart too. But he is really smart I'm guessing if he's taking finance." And mathematics. What about you?"

"Acting." I reply. He glances at me sideways and my stomach does a somersault. He is very very attractive. No, Richie, stop thinking like that. That's gross." Yeah, I'm hoping to be a comedian."

"Are you funny?" He asks.

"I'd like to think so. My dad says so and he's my biggest fan." I reply with a grin. He nods, the conversation about parents making him more uncomfortable." Did I say something wrong?"

"Ah, no. It's just a touchy subject. Parents. My dad died when I was six and my mom is like...super overbearing. I'm glad to be away from her, if I'm being honest." He explains.

"I fucked your mom!"

"No you didn't, take that back dick face!"

"Richie, late for class again, are we?" Matt, the barista, asks as we get to the front of the line. I shake away whatever was occupying my mind and smile. The man beside me is looking at me. Like he's trying to remember something.

"You know it." I say and he chuckles." The usual please."

"And for your friend?" Matt asks, looking at the man beside me. I wouldn't call us friends. I don't even know his name.

"Oh, uh, a latte. Please." He replies and Matt smiles.

"You've definitely been in here before." Matt says as he picks up a coffee cup and then grabs a pen to write the mans name on it." But I am completely blanking on your name."

"Eddie." The man replies.

"Come on, Eddie spaghetti. You know I'm joking!"

"Shut the fuck up, Richie!"

"Eddie." I say out loud, without even realising. He looks at me and my stomach does yet another somersault. Stop it, Richie! Just stop finding him attractive. You aren't attracted to men!

"Get in there, Doctor K, come on. Fix him up!"

"Why don't you shut the fuck up Einstein, because I know what I'm doing and I don't want you doing the British guy with me, right now."

Okay so his name is Eddie and I'm guessing his surname starts with a K. I do not know what's going on. My head in spinning. I need to sit down.

"Rich, you look like you're about to faint." Matt states.

"I'm fine." I reply firmly. More firmly than I would have wanted. I pay for my coffee and Eddie pays for his and then we move to a different counter to wait for them. Eddie keeps glancing at me.

"What's your surname?" He asks curiously.

"Tozier." I reply." Richie Tozier."

"Richie Tozier." He says and I like the way he says it. I look at him and shove my hands in my pockets.

"Richie!" Matt calls out and then he hands me my coffee. I smile and take it. I say goodbye to Eddie and rush right out of the coffee shop.

I'm feeling like I'm losing my mind. Something weird is happening. As I walk to class, I feel a sharp pain in my hand and I look at it to find a scar there. How long has it been there? I don't know. You can't just forget about a scar, can you? But it's weird. I don't remember cutting my palm but I feel like a did. A while ago.