Prologue- The Present

"That was a beautiful wedding." said Laverne. I smiled. Mom showed up. "And she didn't act an Ass..." said K'Shawn. And it that good. "So how is Charleston?" asked Laverne.
"Love it... I enjoy it." I told her. James came toward us. He came over to give me a hug. So did Nia, who was beside her boyfriend. He was a very handsome young man. A bit of a nerd but Nia was overjoyed.
"Hey Lady...." greeted James giving me a hug.
He told me that he missed me. He told me that a nice interracial couple lived in Jeremiah's house. Mom told me that she thought about things. She thought deeply about our relationship. And when Jeremiah called K'Shawn out of his name. She cursed him out. That's when Jeremiah's connect with her end. Jeremiah sold the house like he always wanted to do anyway. He just wanted to control me.
K'Shawn didn't need his blessing now. He assaulted another woman, a girlfriend. He almost killed her. He was charged with attempted murder. He was doing time. So Mom was not taking his collect calls anymore.
She finally got it that there isn't any more of me and Jeremiah. "Keisha, you raised a good man and I am proud of you." She said and with a hug she went off to join K'Shawn and Jason.
James and Laverne were engaged now. They made plans to buy another home. " Besides Nia is going to college." Laverne told me. The garden was beautiful even after the heavy rains three days ago. A beautiful April noon.
Where was Tyrell? I wanted to ask. Everyone said that they were going to the center for the reception.
Jason came over toward me. "Ma you owe me a dance." He told me. I told him of course.
There was something I had to do.
I slowly walked over to her grave. I realize I wasn't the only one coming to take time with Vivian. I know his broad shoulders anywhere.
I stood behind him. " Well, Dr. Wright I presume..."
He turned around. He grabbed me.
"How are you?" I asked. He stood looking at me with that same look on his face I left him with on my driveway a year ago.
"I am good. I am now Ob/Gyn. I work with a group of doctors in a women's clinic." He told me.
I smiled. I was truly happy for him. "I have something to show you." He replied as he pulled his phone out his pocket. He showed me the picture of the cutest little baby girl.
"Her name is Keisha. She's four months old." He told me. I smiled. " Me and her mother are trying to make it."
"She's not like Ma or you." He replied. " But she's a good person. A good mother."
"That's all that matters.." I told him. His face turned gloomy. "Why did you leave even when I beg you not to?"
"Vivian after all wanted you to know who your father was and she wanted grandchildren. She would be proud of you and her." I then asked "Why did you name her after me?"
"I couldn't forget you." He replied. I sighed.
"If I didn't left...there wouldn't be no...her.." I pointed out.
I bend to put my flowers on Vivian's grave. He told me not to tell the others he wanted to surprise them. "Nia is so eager to see her niece."he informed.
I looked up at the cloudy sky. "I have to get back soon." I replied.
"Not before you give me a dance." He said with a smile. I pat his shoulder. "Sure." I then turn around to leave the cemetery and join the rest of the party.

The End